Whether you’re a coffee enthusiast or a chocolate lover, these Chocolate Chunk-Mocha Cookies are the perfect marriage of two beloved flavors. Get ready to indulge in this rich and decadent treat that is sure to satisfy your cravings.
As a barista myself, I understand the importance of starting the day with a hot cup of coffee to kickstart productivity. These cookies also make for the perfect afternoon pick-me-up snack or an after-dinner dessert paired with a fresh cup of brewed coffee.
But what sets this recipe apart from other chocolate chip cookies is its unique mocha twist. We incorporated brewed coffee and espresso powder into the cookie dough, which results in a rich and earthy mocha flavor that perfectly complements the sweetness of the chunks of dark chocolate scattered throughout.
Not only is this recipe delicious, but it’s also incredibly easy to make with ingredients commonly found in most pantries. Whether you’re an experienced baker or just starting to experiment with new recipes, these Chocolate Chunk-Mocha Cookies are sure to please and impress your friends and family alike.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you a lover of all things chocolate and coffee? Do you have a sweet tooth that just won’t quit? Then this recipe is for you! Introducing the Chocolate Chunk-Mocha Cookies recipe, the perfect blend of rich cocoa powder, brewed coffee, and decadent chocolate chunks.
If you’re anything like me, there’s nothing more comforting than a warm, freshly baked cookie. But these cookies take it to the next level. The addition of espresso powder creates a subtle mocha flavor that perfectly complements the sweetness of the chocolate chunks. Trust me, one bite of these cookies and you’ll be hooked.
But why stop at just one type of chocolate? These cookies also include both unsweetened cocoa powder and chocolate chunks to create a double-chocolate sensation that will satisfy even the most intense chocolate craving.
And if you’re looking for a gluten-free or vegan option, this recipe can easily be adjusted to fit your dietary needs without sacrificing any of the delicious taste.
So if you’re in need of a pick-me-up or just want to indulge in something sweet and satisfying, give this Chocolate Chunk-Mocha Cookies recipe a try. You won’t be disappointed!
This recipe requires a few ingredients. But, that doesn’t mean the cookies won’t be tantalizing, because the creator of these cookies mastered the recipe to perfection. The cocoa, espresso powder, and brewed coffee will kick your cookies up a notch while still keeping the chocolate flavors robust. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butter – you will need 1 cup or 2 sticks of softened unsalted butter.
- Sugar mixture – this cookie dough requires a mixture of white granulated sugar (1 cup), brown sugar (3/4 cup), and powdered sugar (1/4 cup).
- Eggs – two large eggs at room temperature.
- Dark chocolate flavor – ½ a cup of dark chocolate chips AND 1 1/2 cups of dark chocolate chunks will do the trick.
- Dry Ingredients Mixture – all-purpose flour (2 cups), unsweetened cocoa powder (1/4 cup), baking soda (1 teaspoon), and fine salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- Brewed coffee and espresso powder mix – brewed coffee (1 tablespoon) and espresso powder (1 tablespoon). This combination adds depth to the chocolate chunks.
- Vanilla extract – in the amount of 1 tablespoon
In case you don’t have some of these ingredients, we’ve also included substitution options that will work well with this recipe in the next section.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have discussed the ingredients, it is time to start making the Chocolate Chunk-Mocha Cookies. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
Preheat and Prepare
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- Set aside.
Make the Dough
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 cups of all-purpose flour, ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp salt.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat 1 cup of unsalted butter and ¾ cup granulated sugar until creamy.
- Add in the mixture of brewed coffee and espresso powder, mix well.
- Add in two eggs one at a time.
- Pour in a teaspoon of vanilla extract and continue mixing until smooth.
- Gradually stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture until combined.
- Mix in 1¼ cups of chocolate chunks or chocolate chips.
Portioning Dough and Baking
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, form dough into balls of about 2 tablespoons each.
- Place dough balls onto lined baking sheets, spacing them about an inch apart from each other.
- Lightly press down on each dough ball with your fingers to flatten it slightly.
- Bake for around 12-15 minutes or until set around edges but still soft in the middle.
- Remove from oven and let cool on pan for five minutes before transferring them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Enjoy these mouth-watering Chocolate Chunk-Mocha Cookies warm with a glass of milk or coffee. They are perfect for satisfying your sweet cravings!
Substitutions and Variations
One of the joys of baking is getting creative with substitutions and variations on classic recipes. Here are some ideas to make these chocolate chunk-mocha cookies your own:
– Gluten-free: Use a 1:1 gluten-free flour blend in place of the all-purpose flour, and make sure all other ingredients are certified gluten-free.
– Brown butter: Instead of melted butter, try browning it for a nuttier flavor. Simply melt the butter over medium-low heat until it turns golden brown and fragrant, then let it cool before using it in the recipe.
– Espresso chocolate chip: Swap out the brewed coffee with 1 teaspoon of espresso powder, and use chopped white or dark chocolate in place of the chocolate chunks.
– Double chocolate: Increase the cocoa powder to 3/4 cup, and use 1 cup of chopped or mini chocolate chips in place of the chocolate chunks.
– Vegan: Replace the eggs with flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water for each egg) or your favorite egg replacement, use vegan chocolate chunks or chips, and substitute vegan butter for regular butter.
– Coffee-free: If you’re not a coffee fan, simply replace the brewed coffee with milk or nondairy milk.
No matter which variation you choose, be sure to follow the recipe instructions carefully for best results. And don’t forget to have fun experimenting – who knows what delicious creations you’ll come up with next?
Serving and Pairing
Once your Chocolate Chunk-Mocha Cookies have finished baking, it’s time to pair them up with the perfect beverage. As a barista and baker, I suggest serving these cookies with a hot cup of brewed coffee – preferably one that tastes similar to the one used in the recipe. The rich mocha flavor in these cookies pairs nicely with coffee and enhances the chocolate notes.
If you’re looking for a non-coffee option, you can’t go wrong with a glass of cold milk. The creaminess of the milk complements the chocolate chunks’ sweetness and balances out any bitterness from the cocoa powder.
These cookies also make great dessert options when entertaining guests or bringing them to a party. You can display them on a festive platter and pair them up with some ice cream or whipped cream to make them even more irresistible.
Overall, these Chocolate Chunk-Mocha Cookies are versatile enough to pair well with many different beverages and other desserts. Remember that the key to creating a memorable experience is balancing flavors and textures to your taste preference.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
These Chunk-Mocha Cookies can be made ahead of time and stored for later. Letting the cookies sit overnight will intensify the flavors and create a richer taste. Once baked, store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
To reheat, simply microwave the cookies for a few seconds until they reach your desired warmth. If you prefer crispier cookies, place them in the oven at 350°F for about 5 minutes.
For those who want to prep ahead of time, frozen cookie dough can also be stored for up to three months. Simply shape the dough into cookie-sized balls and freeze them. When you’re ready to bake, let the dough thaw out in the refrigerator overnight before baking.
These delicious Chunk-Mocha Cookies are sure to make any sweet tooth happy. Whether you’re serving them fresh out of the oven or reheating a batch from the freezer, these cookies are perfect for satisfying your sweet cravings anytime!
Tips for Perfect Results
Are you ready to bake some indulgent Chocolate Chunk-Mocha Cookies using our recipe? Before you start, here are some essential tips for achieving the perfect results.
Firstly, do not overwork the cookie dough! Once you have mixed in all the ingredients, it is important to avoid excessive handling of the dough. Overworking the dough can result in dense and tough cookies. Instead, use a light hand to bring the dough together and mix only until just combined.
Secondly, make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature before mixing them together. This is especially important with butter and eggs as they emulsify better at room temperature. But if you forgot to take the butter out ahead of time, microwave it for 10 seconds at 50% power. The result should be just softened butter.
Thirdly, line your baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats to ensure your cookies do not stick and that there is even heat distribution during baking. This will give you a consistently golden brown and evenly baked cookie.
Fourthly, invest in an oven thermometer if possible. Your oven temperature may not be accurate as shown on the dial. Check your oven temperature often during baking to ensure accurate baking times and consistent results.
Lastly, allow your cookies to cool completely before removing them from the baking sheet or serving them. Letting them cool on a wire rack will prevent steam from softening their bottoms and give them crisp edges.
By following these tips, you can make perfect Chocolate Chunk-Mocha Cookies that are irresistible and satisfying!
In conclusion, these Chocolate Chunk-Mocha Cookies are a must-try for any coffee and chocolate lover. With the perfect blend of mocha and chocolate flavors, these cookies will surely satisfy your cravings. Plus, they are easy to make with simple ingredients that you can find in your pantry.
By following the recipe tips and variations, you can customize the cookies to your liking and even accommodate dietary restrictions such as gluten-free or vegan options. Whether it’s for a special occasion or a simple treat for yourself, these cookies are sure to impress.
So why not give these Chocolate Chunk-Mocha Cookies a try? With its combination of chocolate, coffee, and sweetness, this recipe is bound to become one of your favorite go-to treats. Happy baking!
Chocolate Chunk-Mocha Cookies Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup hot strong brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- powdered sugar (optional)
- In a bowl, mix the first 4 ingredients together; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and next 3 ingredients together until creamy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Gradually add in flour mixture, beating on low speed until blended.
- Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake in preheated 350° oven for 10-12 minutes or until puffy.
- Cool on baking sheets 2 minutes; remove to wire racks, and let cool 30 minutes or until completely cool.
- Make frosting: stir together the first 4 frosting ingredients until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, stirring until creamy.
- Spread cookies with Mocha Frosting.
- Dust evenly with powdered sugar, if desired.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You