As you take your first bite of this delicious chocolate mocha cake, you’ll know that you are about to experience something truly special. This recipe is not just any ordinary cake, but rather a mouthwatering masterpiece that combines the rich flavors of coffee and chocolate, all while being completely gluten-free.
This cake is the perfect treat for any occasion, whether it’s a birthday celebration or just a mid-day snack. As a barista with years of experience, I understand the importance of having a dessert that not only tastes great but also caters to those with specific dietary requirements. That’s why I’m excited to share with you my favorite recipe for a gluten-free chocolate mocha cake.
The combination of dark chocolate and brewed coffee enhances the flavor and brings out the best in each component. Even if you’re not on a gluten-free diet, this cake is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth with its moist and fluffy texture, and flavorful taste.
So let’s get started on making this delectable treat that will surely impress anyone who takes a bite! Trust me, it’s worth it.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Indulge yourself in the heavenly flavor of our gluten-free chocolate mocha cake. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee combined with the bittersweet indulgence of dark chocolate creates an irresistible dessert that is bound to delight your taste buds.
What makes this recipe unique is its ability to enhance the flavor of chocolate without adding too much sugar. The coffee used in this recipe balances out the richness of chocolate, creating a perfect harmony of flavors. And, as a bonus, it has gluten-free flour blend, making it a perfect option for people who cannot tolerate gluten.
This easy-to-make gluten-free cake mix recipe is perfect for coffee lovers and chocoholics alike! From its rich and moist texture to its delectable aroma and tantalizing taste, this chocolate mocha cake will quickly become a staple in your baking repertoire.
So why wait? Take advantage of our simple recipe and add this amazing cake to your menu. It’s perfect for any occasion – whether you’re looking for a simple snack cake or an impressive birthday cake or a layer cake with whipped cream or frosting – this recipe can cater to your every need.
Experience the magic of combining Dark chocolate and brewed coffee like never before with our flavorful chocolate mocha cake . Try it once and you won’t be able to resist having it again!
Let’s dive into the essential components of this gluten-free chocolate mocha cake recipe. From cocoa powder and dark chocolate to gluten-free flour and xanthan gum, each ingredient contributes to create an indulgent, moist, and full-of-flavor coffee cake. Here’s the full list of what you’ll need:
- 1 cup (120 g) gluten-free flour blend
- ½ cup (50 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) dairy-free milk
- ½ cup (120 ml) brewed coffee or hot water
- ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
Chocolate Mocha Flavor
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) brewed coffee, cooled
- 1/4 cup (50 g) dark chocolate chips
Make sure to have all the ingredients in-hand before starting the preparation, it will be easier and faster to put everything together!
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s take a closer look at how to make this delectable gluten-free chocolate mocha cake with the perfect balance of coffee and cocoa flavors.
Preheat and Prepare
First things first, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 10-inch (25cm) cake pan with cooking spray or butter. Next, line the base of the pan with parchment paper.
Mix dry ingredients
In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 cups of gluten-free flour blend, 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon xanthan gum, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. This gluten-free flour blend made of bob’s red mill gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour enhances flavor without adding grittiness.
Mix wet ingredients
In another large mixing bowl, cream together 1 cup butter softened at room temperature and 2 cups granulated sugar until light and fluffy by using an electric beater or mixer. Then add in 4 eggs one at a time before pouring in a mixture of 1/2 cup brewed coffee (cooled) and 1/2 cup dairy-free milk. For that final punch of coffee flavor, add in 2 teaspoons espresso powder.
Combine the Ingredients
Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture while continuously stirring until well combined. Afterward, fold in some finely chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth out the top. Bake it for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let it Cool && Frosting
Once done, remove your cake from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes before removing it from the cake pan. You can frost it with mocha buttercream frosting, chocolate ganache or whipped cream.
This deliciously easy gluten-free cake is the perfect dessert for virtually any occasion, whether you’re looking for a mid-afternoon snack cake, a birthday cake or a sophisticated layer cake that perfectly combines coffee and chocolate.
Substitutions and Variations
What really enhances the chocolate flavor of this gluten-free chocolate mocha cake is the cocoa powder. However, if you want to mix things up a bit, you can try using dark chocolate instead or even adding some chocolate chips to the batter. This gives a richer and denser consistency, giving in to an intense chocolate experience.
For those with dietary restrictions, you can easily make this mocha cake dairy-free by substituting coconut oil for the unsalted butter and almond milk (or any other non-dairy milk of preference) for the regular milk. You can also make this recipe vegan simply by swapping out the eggs with an egg replacer of your choice.
If you don’t have a gluten intolerance, you can use regular all-purpose flour instead of gluten-free flour in equal amounts without affecting the outcome much. Though, if a recipe calls for raising agents like baking powder and baking soda, note that gluten-free flours are often lighter than regular flours; so, you’ll need to compensate by using just a little bit more of these ingredients than you would normally.
If you want a lighter version of this cake, opt for a flourless chocolate cake instead. And for those who prefer coffee over chocolate flavor in their desserts, try substituting brewed coffee instead of hot water in your recipe.
And finally, serving-wise, whipped cream or mocha buttercream frosting complements this scrumptious dessert perfectly. But feel free to experiment with different toppings such as vegan chocolate ganache or espresso powder sprinkles. The sky’s the limit when it comes to variations with this versatile mocha cake recipe.
Serving and Pairing
As a barista and lover of gastronomy, serving and pairing are crucial elements in the creation and enjoyment of any recipe. This chocolate mocha cake is an absolute delight that will satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth. Since it’s gluten-free, you can share it with all your friends and family while knowing they will appreciate it beyond measure.
The best way to serve this cake is by accompanying it with hot brewed coffee or a cold glass of milk. You can also enjoy it with your favorite cup of tea, depending on your preference. The warm mixture of the chocolate mocha flavors alongside the coffee enhances the flavor experience without adding too much sweetness to the palate.
Pairing wise, you can try serving this gluten-free chocolate mocha cake with whipped cream, espresso powder or chocolate chips. If you’re fond of chocolate ganache, that’s another bonus to bring decadent flavors out of this dessert. These toppings assist in differentiating between the levels of sweetness present in the cake.
If you prefer other sweets that complement this recipe, some recommend frappes or cold brew coffees paired with a slice of our gluten-free mocha cake for an even greater experience. This snackable treat also goes well as an addition to your afternoon tea time or as a post-dinner dessert.
Finally, I recommend letting the cake cool before cutting so you can have even slices. By doing so, it provides excellent portions and won’t leave any unwanted messes wherever served. The excellent triumph of this easy-to-make gluten-free chocolate cake mix is that it can be enjoyed on its own or with anything you crave!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
When it comes to making a cake as rich and delicious as this Chocolate Mocha Cake, it’s easy to get carried away and bake it hours before your guests arrive. But don’t worry, you can prepare this cake ahead of time without sacrificing any of its flavour or texture.
To make the cake ahead of time, follow the recipe instructions and let the cake cool completely before wrapping it tightly with saran wrap or aluminum foil. You can then store the wrapped cake at room temperature for up to two days, in the fridge for up to a week or even freeze it for up to one month.
If you’re storing your cake in the fridge or freezer, make sure to let it thaw out for a few hours before reheating. To reheat the cake either in the oven or microwave, remove any wrapping or coverings that you used when storing your cake, then wrap it in a damp paper towel and place it in the oven or microwave. This will help retain moisture and prevent dryness. Heat up your oven/microwave on low heat and allow the cake to warm up until it reaches your desired serving temperature.
When reheating, keep an eye on your cake so that it doesn’t overheat or burn. You don’t want to dry out your chocolate mocha cake while trying to reheat it for serving.
To serve your make-ahead Chocolate Mocha Cake with a twist, try topping each slice with whipped cream or a drizzle of chocolate ganache. Whether served as is or dressed up with more toppings, this gluten-free mocha cake is sure to be a hit at any occasion – even when prepared beforehand!
Tips for Perfect Results
Making the perfect chocolate mocha cake requires all the right ingredients and a little bit of know-how. Here are some tips to help you achieve the best results possible:
1. Use high-quality ingredients – The quality of your ingredients will greatly affect the taste and texture of your cake. Use the best ingredients you can afford, such as pure vanilla extract and dark chocolate.
2. Measure accurately – For gluten-free baking, measuring accurately is critical. Use a digital scale to weigh your ingredients, especially your flour blend, for consistent results.
3. Prepare your pans properly – To ensure that your cake comes out of the pan easily, grease it liberally with unsalted butter and dust it with gluten-free flour or cocoa powder.
4. Don’t overmix – Overmixing your batter can cause your cake to be tough and hard instead of tender and soft. Mix just until everything is combined, then stop.
5. Add hot water correctly – The hot water in this recipe enhances the chocolate flavor without adding too much liquid. Add it gradually while mixing on low speed, alternating with the dry ingredients until just combined.
6. Test for doneness – Gluten-free cakes may take a little longer to bake than regular cakes. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, your cake is done.
7. Let it cool completely before frosting – It’s important to let your cake cool completely before frosting, otherwise it will melt or slide off. You can speed up the cooling process by placing your cake in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
By following these tips, you will be able to make a perfectly fluffy and moist chocolate mocha cake that everyone will love!
As a barista, I have heard hundreds of questions from coffee lovers about various types of brews. Similarly, as a baker, I understand that there might be concerns and queries related to making certain types of cakes. Therefore, in this section, I will try my best to address some of the frequently asked questions and help you avoid common mistakes while baking this delicious gluten-free chocolate mocha cake recipe.
What is chocolate mocha cake made of?
What we have here is a decadent Chocolate Mocha Cake consisting of three layers of chocolate cake, filled and frosted with a rich coffee infused buttercream. The chocolate cake is moistened with a dark brewed coffee while the coffee flavor in the buttercream is enhanced with mocha frosting and chocolate shavings on top.
What does adding coffee to chocolate cake do?
When it comes to chocolate desserts, adding a touch of coffee can bring out the rich taste of chocolate without making the coffee flavor noticeable. This combination is like having a reliable sidekick who helps the main character shine. It’s similar to how a pinch of salt can make a cookie taste better without altering its sweet taste.
What chocolate cake mixes are gluten-free?
Below are five different types of gluten-free chocolate cake mixes that I will provide detailed instructions on how to prepare. These cake mixes include Bob’s Red Mill, Pamela’s, Simple Mills, King Arthur Flour, and Namaste. No matter which cake mix you choose, with these instructions, you’ll be able to make a delicious gluten-free chocolate treat that everyone will love.
Does mocha cake contain coffee?
For the scrumptious Mocha Cake, we will need a few ingredients. Firstly, we need a good quality strong coffee to add to both the delicious syrup and filling. Secondly, let’s make sure to use heavy cream or whipping cream in the cream mixture for a rich and indulgent taste. To stabilize the cream and ensure it doesn’t spill out when we slice the cake, we will need gelatin. Finally, let’s not forget the Kahlua – this alcoholic beverage is known to enhance flavor and will add a unique twist to our Mocha Cake.
In conclusion, this chocolate mocha cake recipe is an absolute must-try for anyone seeking a sumptuous and indulgent cake that is also gluten-free. This cake is a perfect combination of chocolate and coffee flavor, providing an unparalleled taste experience that you will not get from any other treat. Besides, this cake packs all the necessary dietary requirements for anyone with gluten intolerance, making it a guilt-free option that anyone can enjoy.
With the combination of soft, moist cake and rich mocha buttercream frosting or chocolate ganache, the texture and flavors of this cake are out of this world. Whether you wish to bake a gluten-free snack cake or gluten-free vegan birthday cake, this recipe has got you covered.
So don’t hesitate to prepare your ingredients, follow our step-by-step instructions carefully and indulge in this fantastic gluten-free chocolate mocha cake. You won’t regret it!
Chocolate Mocha Cake - Gf Recipe
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 cups gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup dairy-free margarine
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans for Chocolate Mocha Cake on cover. Or prepare three 8-inch round cake pans for Chocolate Ganache Cake, pictured here.
- 2. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the coffee and cocoa powder. Add hot water and whisk until smooth.
- 3. On a piece of waxed paper, sift together flour blend, baking soda, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum. Set aside.
- 4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the margarine or shortening and sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Lower the speed to medium and add the eggs, one at a time. Then add the vanilla and cream well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- 5. Blend half the dry ingredients into the wet batter, followed by half the cocoa mixture. Blend in remaining dry ingredients and cocoa mixture, mixing on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- 6. Spoon the batter equally into prepared cake pans or standard-size cupcake tins. Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes. Watch carefully as time will vary depending on oven and pan size. Cake is done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- 7. Remove cake from oven and cool in pans for 20 minutes. Then turn cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting. Frost tops of layers with Mocha “Buttercream” Frosting or Chocolate Ganache Frosting. Assemble cake and frost sides.
- *TIP For Egg-Free Mocha Chocolate Cake, mix ½ cup applesauce with 2 teaspoons baking powder in a small bowl. In another small bowl, thoroughly mix 4 tablespoons cold water with 1 tablespoon egg replacer. (For gluten-free egg replacer, visit ener-gfoods.com) Add egg replacer mixture to applesauce mixture. Then add the entire egg-free mixture to the creamed shortening and sugar and proceed with recipe instructions.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You