Greetings coffee lovers, I have a recipe that will satisfy your sweet tooth cravings and caffeine addiction all at once. Introducing the one and only Mocha Ice Cream Cupcakes Recipe! These cupcakes are made with rich cocoa powder, instant espresso, unsalted butter, and fluffy whipped cream. But what makes these cupcakes stand out from the rest is the creamy ice cream filling made with coffee ice cream and delicious chocolate chips.
These Mocha Ice Cream Cupcakes are the perfect dessert to keep you cool on hot summer days or as a pick-me-up treat when your energy levels need a little boost. The best part about this recipe is its versatility; you can switch out ingredients or add flavors to create a new taste sensation every time you make them.
Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or just in the mood for something sweet and delicious, these Mocha Ice Cream Cupcakes are sure to be a crowd-pleaser. So pull up a chair, grab your favorite mug of brew, and let’s get baking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Coffee lovers rejoice! We have a delicious treat that will satisfy your sweet tooth and your caffeine craving- Mocha Ice Cream Cupcakes.
These cupcakes are perfect for those hot summer days when you’re looking for something sweet and cool to indulge in. They are a subtle blend of cocoa powder, instant espresso powder, cream, and mocha ice cream that forms an irresistible combination of flavors and textures.
One bite of these cupcakes, and you’ll be transported to a world of rich coffee flavor mixed with the sweetness of creamy chocolate frosting. The mocha buttercream frosting is the perfect balance of sweetness and bitterness, as it’s made with powdered sugar, heavy cream, unsalted butter, and dark chocolate.
To top it off, each cupcake is adorned with mini chocolate chips and chocolate-covered coffee beans for texture and an extra pop of flavor. Trust me; this recipe is a coffee-lover’s dream come true!
But wait, there’s more! This recipe also offers substitutions and variations to cater to different dietary needs or preferences. Whether you’re vegan or want to try something different like peanut butter or caramel mocha-filled cupcakes, we’ve got you covered.
So why will you love this recipe? Because it’s a unique twist on a classic dessert that’s perfect for celebrating special occasions, enjoying in the sun or just having as a pick-me-up on any day. Once you try it out, we guarantee that it will quickly become your new favorite indulgence!
For the Mocha Cupcakes:
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 and 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup strong-brewed coffee, cooled to room temperature
For the Mocha Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
For Assembling and Decorating:
- 24 chocolate-covered coffee beans
- 3 cups coffee ice cream
- Mini chocolate chips for topping
This ingredient list may seem long, but don’t worry – most of these ingredients are pantry staples. You’ll need flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract – all basic baking ingredients. The only specialty items would be instant espresso powder and coffee ice cream. Don’t forget to grab some chocolate-covered coffee beans for decoration!
The Recipe How-To
Here is how to make these delectable mocha ice cream cupcakes.
Step 1: Make the Mocha Cupcake Batter
First, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Next, in a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, instant espresso powder and cocoa powder. Then, in another bowl, cream butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Afterward, pour the melted chocolate into the egg-butter mixture and whisk it together.
Step 2: Bake the Cupcakes
Next, alternate adding the prepared dry ingredients and buttermilk to the creamed mixture in three batches, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Beat until just incorporated after each addition. Pour batter into cupcake liners, filling them 2/3 full. Then, bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcakes.
Step 3: Prepare Mocha Buttercream Frosting
First, mix softened unsalted butter until smooth and creamy. Sift powdered sugar, instant espresso powder, dark cocoa powder into the mixing bowl with the butter. Add heavy cream and vanilla extract, mix again on low until powdered sugar is incorporated into butter. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed to ensure thorough mixing.
Step 4: Assemble Mocha Ice Cream Cupcakes
Next, remove cupcakes from pan after they have cooled completely on a wire rack. Scoop coffee ice cream onto each cupcake then smooth out gently using a spoon or a spatula. Use an ice cream scoop to portion out equal amounts of mocha buttercream frosting on top of each cupcake. Drizzle some chocolate syrup on top of buttercream frosting then sprinkle mini chocolate chips, chocolate-covered coffee beans, or dark chocolate shavings over the top.
Enjoy your sumptuous mocha ice cream cupcakes!
Substitutions and Variations
If you’re feeling adventurous or want to customize the recipe to your liking, there are several substitutions and variations you can try with this delicious Mocha Ice Cream Cupcakes recipe.
– Coffee ice cream: depending on your preference, you can substitute the coffee ice cream for another flavor such as vanilla, chocolate, or even peanut butter for a twist.
– Irish cream: if you want to add some extra flavor, replace the instant espresso powder with Irish cream for a boozy cake flavor. This is especially delicious if you are making these cupcakes for St. Patrick’s Day!
– Caramel mocha: If you love caramel, swap out the chocolate chips in the recipe for caramel chips or drizzle caramel sauce over the frosting for added sweetness.
– Vegan: You can make this recipe vegan by replacing dairy products with alternative milk and butter substitutes. Use coconut oil instead of unsalted butter and almond milk instead of heavy cream to make vegan-friendly cupcakes.
– Chocolate peppermint mocha: Substitute the instant espresso powder with peppermint extract, add a dash of cocoa powder, stir in some mini chocolate chips and top it off with a whipped cream and candy cane pieces.
These are just a few substitution options but feel free to get creative and find your perfect cupcake taste!
Serving and Pairing
Once your mocha ice cream cupcakes are out of the oven and fully chilled, it’s time to serve and enjoy them! These cupcakes are perfect for serving at any party or gathering, as they are easy to make and sure to please a crowd.
To add an extra special touch to your mocha ice cream cupcakes, consider topping them with whipped cream, mini chocolate chips, or even a single chocolate-covered coffee bean. For an even richer flavor profile, drizzle some caramel or peanut butter over the top of each cupcake.
When it comes to pairing beverages with your mocha ice cream cupcakes, you can’t go wrong with coffee or hot cocoa. The combination of chocolate and coffee flavors is always a winning one! Alternatively, a glass of cold milk or a scoop of vanilla ice cream can also be delicious accompaniments.
If you want to get creative with your pairing options, try serving these cupcakes alongside other dessert dishes like a chocolate peppermint mocha or an Irish cream mud pie ice cream. Or, for a non-dessert option, consider pairing your mocha ice cream cupcakes with some savory snacks like popcorn or pretzels.
Overall, the versatility of these mocha ice cream cupcakes makes them easy to pair and serve in a variety of ways. So get creative and let your taste buds guide you as you create the ultimate experience with these delicious treats!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Who doesn’t love a make-ahead dessert? These Mocha Ice Cream Cupcakes are perfect for preparing in advance for any event or gathering. You can even store them in the freezer for up to 3 months! Here’s how to make, store and reheat them:
When making these cupcakes for a special occasion, you can bake the cupcakes beforehand as they need to cool before filling them with ice cream. Once cooled, wrap each cupcake securely in plastic wrap and place them in an airtight container. Then, put the container in the freezer.
These cupcakes are best stored in an airtight container or wrapped securely with plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months without losing their freshness and taste.
Remove the cupcakes from the freezer about 10-15 minutes before serving so that they have time to thaw out slightly. Alternatively, place them in the refrigerator overnight to thaw completely. These cupcakes are meant to be served slightly frozen so they aren’t messy when eaten!
If you’re pressed for time and need to thaw out these cupcakes immediately, pop them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds on medium power or let them rest at room temperature for a few minutes.
I recommend adding some whipped cream on top with some cocoa powder or shaved chocolate-covered coffee beans to create a swirly design that will impress your friends and family. These Mocha Ice Cream Cupcakes will be a hit at any party or holiday celebration and won’t require much fussing over once prepared.
Tips for Perfect Results
A great recipe can be ruined without knowing the right tips and tricks. As a barista, I want to ensure that you make the most out of your mocha ice cream cupcakes recipe. Here are some tips for perfect results:
1. Use unsalted butter at room temperature.
To achieve perfect texture and consistency, make sure to use unsalted butter at room temperature when making the cupcake batter. This will help the butter to mix well with other ingredients.
2. Sift the dry ingredients.
Sifting the dry ingredients like all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda can do wonders for your cupcakes. This process helps in breaking down any lumps and makes the batter lighter and airier.
3. Cream butter and sugar thoroughly.
Properly creamed butter and sugar will give you a fluffy cupcake with a tender crumb. Make sure to beat the mixture until it becomes pale in color and has a light texture.
4. Choose high-quality chocolate.
Since chocolate is a major component of this recipe, choose good quality chocolate chips or bars for optimal flavor.
5. Let ice cream come to room temperature before using.
Before adding coffee ice cream to the center of each cupcake, make sure to let it soften at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. This will ensure that you get a smooth blend of flavors throughout each bite.
6. Do not overfill cupcake liners.
Fill each cupcake liner with only 2/3 of batter maximum. Overfilling may cause the cupcakes to deflate or spill over while baking.
7. Be mindful of baking time.
Bake your cupcakes until they are fully cooked but not overcooked. Overcooked cupcakes may become dry and tough whereas undercooked ones can fall apart or have sticky centers.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to perfectly recreate this mocha ice cream cupcake recipe every time you make them!
In conclusion, these mocha ice cream cupcakes are the ultimate treat for any coffee and chocolate lover out there. Not only are they delicious, but they are also easy to make and customizable to your liking. You can change the ice cream flavor or frosting type to make it match your own preferences.
From the soft and moist cupcakes to the creamy and decadent frosting, every bite of these cupcakes is a heavenly experience. Whether you eat them as a snack, dessert or even bring them to a party, you will be amazed by how good they taste.
So why not try this recipe today? You won’t regret diving into this mocha heaven!
Mocha Ice Cream Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 (12 count) box sugar ice cream cones
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, plus more
- semisweet chocolate, for shavings
- 3 cups coffee ice cream, softened
- 1/2 cup chocolate-covered coffee beans, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Using food processor, grind ice cream cones into fine crumbs. Transfer to a med bowl and stir in butter. Divide between cups of a 6 cup jumbo muffin pan and press about 3/4 of the way up each cup. Spoon 1 T almonds into each cup.
- In a small microwavable bowl, melt 3 oz chocolate at med power in intervals, stirring occasionally. Top almonds with melted chocolate to cover. Freeze 10 minute.
- Spoon 2 T ice cream into each muffin cup. Sprinkle 1 T espresso beans onto ice cream and flatten with back of spoon. Add another 2 T ice cream and remaining almonds and flatten again. Add remaining ice cream and espresso beans and flatten. Freeze at least 1 hour.
- Whip cream and sugar UNtil soft peaks form.
- Run knife around edges of muffin cups to remove from pan. Top with cream and chocolate shavings.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You