Picture this: it’s a Sunday morning and you’re craving a sweet treat to go with your coffee. You don’t want just any cake, you want something that will satisfy your chocolate and coffee cravings all in one bite. Well, search no more, because this mocha layer cake recipe is exactly what you need!
This cake is moist, fluffy, and full of rich chocolate and coffee flavor. The chocolate mocha cake layers are filled with a luxurious rum cream filling and then covered in a silky smooth mocha buttercream. It’s the perfect dessert for any special occasion or for when you just need to satisfy your sweet tooth.
But wait, there’s more! This recipe starts with basic chocolate cake ingredients – flour, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and baking powder – and adds two types of coffee to give it that super fudgy mocha flavor. This means that not only is it delicious, but also easy to make with ingredients you probably already have on hand.
So what are you waiting for? Grab your apron and get ready to whip up an irresistible mocha layer cake that will leave everyone at the table wanting more.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Folks, let me tell you about this heavenly slice of heaven known as a mocha layer cake. If the name itself isn’t enough to make your taste buds dance with excitement, let me elaborate on what makes this cake so special.
Firstly, picture a moist and fluffy chocolate cake layered with a creamy and decadent chocolate rum cream filling. If that wasn’t already enough to pique your interest, this cake is then topped with a mocha buttercream that will have you drooling with anticipation.
But what really sets this mocha layer cake apart from any other chocolate cake is the added surprise of a mix of brewed coffee and chocolate chips in the batter! This creates a super fudgy and rich texture that will melt in your mouth with each and every bite.
But wait, there’s more! This recipe starts with basic chocolate cake ingredients such as flour, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and baking powder – making it easy for anyone to recreate. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also accessible for bakers of all levels!
And if that’s not enough to convince you, imagine serving slices of this mocha layer cake at special occasions like birthdays or dinner parties. It’s the perfect showstopper dessert that will have everyone asking for seconds (and thirds). Trust me, this cake will quickly become a fan favorite in your dessert repertoire.
So what are you waiting for? Whip up this masterpiece of a cake and experience pure indulgence in each sinful bite.
Below you will find a list of ingredients that will help you create a rich and indulgent Mocha Layer Cake that is perfect for any occasion:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup whole milk or heavy cream, more if needed
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder, dissolved in an additional tablespoon of cream
Chocolate Rum Cream Filling:
- One batch Chocolate Pastry Cream (recipe below)
- ¼ cup whole milk or heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Two Tablespoons rum of your choice
Chocolate Pastry Cream:
- 1½ cups whole milk or half-and-half
- Pinch of salt
- 6 egg yolks
- Heaped ? cup /2 oz /60 gr caster sugar (superfine granulated)
- ? /8 oz /25 gr cornstarch (cornflour)
- Vanilla extract to taste (or vanilla bean)
- Mix brewed coffee and light corn syrup.
- White chocolate chips (for melting and decorating cake)
- Salted caramel sauce (optional)
Note: This recipe starts with basic chocolate cake ingredients; flour, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and baking powder. Then we alternate between two types of moist fluffy cake layers: chocolate and mocha.
The Recipe How-To
Mixing the Cake Batter
To make a moist and fluffy mocha layer cake, start with the basic chocolate cake ingredients, such as flour, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and baking powder. This recipe starts with two types of flour: 2 cups of all-purpose flour and 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder.
In a bowl, combine 3 cups of cake mix, 1 tsp of baking powder, and a pinch of salt. In another bowl, whisk together 3 eggs and 2 cups of granulated sugar until they’re light and frothy. In a separate pot, melt a stick of unsalted butter over low heat. Add half a cup of light corn syrup to it and stir until combined.
Add the dry mix alternately with brewed coffee (1⅓ cups) to the egg mixture in three parts. After each addition, mix thoroughly until smooth. Gradually pour in the butter and corn syrup mixture while stirring. Finally, combine 1 tablespoon each of vanilla extract and chocolate rum cream for a decadent twist on classic mocha flavors.
Baking the Cake Layers
Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Line the bottom of two 9-inch (23 cm) cake pans with waxed paper and grease them lightly with cooking spray or butter.
Divide the mocha cake batter evenly between both pans. Smooth out the top layer so that it is even.
Bake for about 25-30 minutes on the middle rack. You know it’s done when you poke a toothpick into the center of each cake; it should come out clean.
Once your cakes have cooled slightly, loosen them from their pan edges by gently running a knife around them before removing them from the pans altogether.
Assembling the Mocha Layer Cake
For a deliciously super fudgy texture that perfectly complements the rich chocolate mocha flavors, mix 1½ cups softened butter with 6 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder until smooth. Then add 2 teaspoons of mocha coffee powder and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract. Mix one final time to create the mocha buttercream for your cake.
Place the first mocha cake layer on a cake stand or a plate. Spread the top with a layer of mocha buttercream evenly, making sure to spread it all the way to the edge.
Next, place the second cake layer carefully on top of the buttercream. Then, top the second layer with another thick layer of frosting. You can even garnish it with white chocolate chips or sprinkle some cocoa over the top for added texture and flavor.
And that’s it! Follow these steps closely, and you’ll have yourself a beautiful, moist and fluffy mocha layer cake that is perfect for any occasion.
Substitutions and Variations
Alright folks, it’s time to get creative! Don’t be afraid to make this mocha layer cake recipe your own by tweaking some of the ingredients or adding your own personal touch. Here are a few substitution and variation ideas to consider:
– For a lighter and fluffier cake, swap out the butter for margarine or a non-dairy alternative. You can also replace the eggs with applesauce, mashed banana, or store-bought egg replacers.
– If you’re not a fan of Cool Whip Topping, try whipped cream or homemade buttercream frosting instead. You can even add a mocha twist by mixing in some instant coffee powder or cocoa powder to the frosting.
– Want to make this cake extra boozy? In addition to brushing the cake layers with brewed coffee or chocolate rum, you can also make a rum cream filling by mixing together 1/2 cup light corn syrup and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan over medium heat until dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of rum. Let cool before spreading between the cake layers.
– To mix things up, try swapping out the chocolate mocha flavor for other delicious varieties. A few suggestions include salted caramel cake (add caramel sauce to the frosting), white chocolate mocha (use white chocolate chips instead of semisweet), or caramel mocha (add some caramel sauce to the brewed coffee).
– For an eye-catching and decadent decoration, sprinkle some chocolate chips over the top of the frosted cake or shave some chocolate curls using a vegetable peeler.
Remember that these substitutions and variations are just suggestions – feel free to get creative and experiment with whatever ingredients speak to you!
Serving and Pairing
As a barista, I know that the perfect cup of coffee can elevate any dessert. The Mocha Layer Cake is no exception; its rich flavors pair perfectly with a steaming cup of coffee. For this specific cake, I recommend brewing a hot cup of strong coffee to bring out the chocolate and mocha notes in the cake.
The Mocha Layer Cake is a decadent treat that can be served at any occasion. Whether it’s for a birthday party or a holiday feast, this cake is sure to impress your guests. I suggest serving this cake chilled or at room temperature, allowing the flavors to fully develop. The airy layers of chocolate and buttery mocha filling come together in every bite creating an indulgent experience.
To pair with this rich cake, I recommend a light-bodied coffee with notes of caramel and hints of fruit. The smooth acidity of the coffee will balance out the sweetness of the cake, while complementing its depth of flavor. If you prefer tea, go for a robust black tea such as Assam or Darjeeling to enhance the richness of the chocolate.
For those looking for something stronger than coffee, consider pairing this cake with a glass of red wine or whisky. A full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Shiraz will complement the chocolate and mocha flavors in the cake. If you prefer whisky, I recommend going for something with notes of vanilla and caramel which will add another layer of complexity to the cake.
Overall, serving and pairing for the Mocha Layer Cake is all about creating balance and harmony between flavors. Experiment with different kinds of drinks to find your perfect pairing and create an unforgettable sensory experience both in your taste buds and on your palate.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Making a layered cake like the Mocha Layer Cake requires time and effort, but you can make it easier by preparing in advance. You can make the cake layers ahead of time and store them properly to ensure freshness. To make sure your Mocha Layer Cake stays fresh, you can store it in the refrigerator or freezer.
If you want to prepare the cake layers in advance, you can bake them and let them cool completely before wrapping them in plastic wrap or parchment paper. You should then store them in an airtight container and keep them in the freezer for up to 2 months. Alternatively, if you’re storing them in the fridge, they will be good for up to 5 days.
When you’re ready to assemble the cake, take out the layers from storage and let them come to room temperature while still wrapped. If you’re frosting the cake with homemade buttercream frosting, it’s best to make it fresh just before assembling the cake.
Reheating a slice of Mocha Layer Cake is recommended if it’s been stored in the fridge or freezer as mentioned previously. You can heat up individual slices by microwaving briefly or reheating in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 10 minutes.
Once your Mocha Layer Cake is completely assembled and decorated, it’s best served within 2-3 days of making it. To retain its moisture level, avoid storing it at room temperature for prolonged periods because this may cause spoilage.
To maximize storage lifespan, wrap leftover slices with cling wrap and store them in an air-tight container at room temperature for no longer than a day. Mocha Layer Cake is an excellent dessert option for events or celebrations that require preparation beforehand as long as it’s stored suitably to maintain its freshness and moistness until serving time.
Tips for Perfect Results
As a barista, I understand how important it is to achieve the perfect cup of coffee or in this case, a perfect mocha layer cake. Here are some tips and tricks to help you get the best results every single time:
1. Measure your ingredients precisely
Baking is like chemistry, and every ingredient plays an essential role in making the perfect cake. Make sure you measure your ingredients accurately, especially the flour and cocoa powder. Too much or too little could affect the texture and flavor of your cake.
2. Use Room Temperature Ingredients
Using ingredients at room temperature can significantly affect the texture of your cake. When eggs, butter, and other ingredients are chilled, they don’t mix well with others, leading to an uneven batter. Room temperature ingredients blend better and will give you a smooth batter.
3. Don’t overmix your batter
When adding dry ingredients to wet ones, don’t overmix your batter as it can make your cake tough and dense. Mix until all ingredients are just combined.
4. Grease your pans thoroughly
Before pouring in your batter, make sure you generously grease your baking pans with butter or baking spray. This will allow your cakes to release smoothly from the pans when baked.
5. Check for doneness using a toothpick
To check if your cakes are done, insert a toothpick into the center of each cake layer before removing from the oven. If the toothpick comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached to it, then it’s cooked through.
6. Let your cakes cool completely before layering
Cutting into warm cakes can cause them to crumble easily and become damaged. Let them cool entirely before adding any frosting or filling.
Follow these tips, and you’ll be able to achieve perfect results every time when making this delicious mocha layer cake recipe!
As you embark on your journey to create the perfect mocha layer cake, you may encounter some questions or concerns along the way. Here are some common FAQs to help guide you through any bumps in the road as you create this delicious dessert.
What is mocha cake made of?
To make this mocha cake, we will be using common ingredients, such as flour, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, baking powder, and two varieties of chocolate. Additionally, we will be utilizing espresso powder to add the delicious mocha flavor to the dessert. You should be able to find espresso powder in the coffee section of most supermarkets.
What should I put in between cake layers?
Adding a scrumptious layer of filling between cake layers turns a simple cake into a heavenly delight. To achieve this, I suggest piping a border of a stiff frosting, such as American buttercream or Swiss meringue buttercream, around the outer edge of the bottom cake layer. Then, evenly spread your desired filling in the middle, ensuring to leave a small gap between the filling and the piped frosting. Finally, carefully place the next cake layer on top. It’s essential to chill the cake before cutting, as most fillings set better when they’re refrigerated.
Does mocha cake contain coffee?
For this recipe of Mocha Cake, you’ll need a cup of robust coffee which will be used in both the syrup and the filling to give it a rich coffee flavor. Additionally, you’ll need heavy cream or whipping cream to make the cake creamy and indulgent. To stabilize the cream layer, we’ll be using gelatin so that the cream doesn’t leak out when the cake is sliced. Lastly, Kahlua will be used to enhance the flavor and add a hint of alcohol to the cake.
What does coffee do in cake mix?
If you want to enhance the taste of baked goods like cakes, brownies, or muffins, you can consider using brewed coffee. It can add a delicate flavor and make your treat richer. However, it’s wise to remember that you should not mix brewed coffee with melted chocolate as it can make the chocolate harden. An effortless way to upgrade the flavor of brownies is to substitute the water in a brownie mix with brewed coffee.
In conclusion, this mocha layer cake recipe is a must-try for coffee lovers and cake enthusiasts alike. With its rich, chocolatey flavor infused with the bold aroma of brewed coffee, every bite is sure to be a delightfully decadent experience.
But that’s not all – this recipe comes with plenty of room for personalization and experimentation. From swapping out the filling for a salted caramel or rum cream option, to adding in white chocolate chips or meringue buttercream frosting, there are endless possibilities to make this cake your own.
So grab those ingredients and get baking! With these detailed instructions and tips for perfect results, you are well on your way to creating a moist, fluffy and fudgy mocha layer cake that will leave everyone craving more.
Trust me, once you take a bite of this heavenly creation, you’ll never want to go back to plain old chocolate cake again.
Mocha Layer Cake Recipe
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 (4 ounce) package JELL-O Chocolate Instant Pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) container BREAKSTONE'S Sour Cream or (8 ounce) container KNUDSEN Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3/4 cup GENERAL FOODS INTERNATIONAL Suisse Mocha Cafe, divided
- 1/2 cup water, plus
- 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate (8 squares)
- 2 cups Cool Whip Topping, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- HEAT oven to 350 degrees F.
- BEAT cake mix, dry pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, oil and 1/2 cup each flavored instant coffee and water in large bowl with mixer on low speed just until moistened, stopping frequently to scrape bottom and side of bowl. Beat on medium speed 2 minute or until well blended. Chop 4 chocolate squares; stir into batter. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round pans.
- BAKE 40 to 45 minute or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minute Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- STIR remaining 1/4 cup flavored instant coffee into COOL WHIP. Stack cake layers on plate, spreading COOL WHIP mixture between layers. Microwave butter, corn syrup and remaining chocolate and water in medium microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1-1/2 min.; stir until chocolate is completely melted. Spread over top of cake, allowing glaze to drip down side.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You