Welcome, coffee and dessert lovers! I am here to share with you a delightful recipe that will satisfy both your caffeine cravings and sweet tooth. Today’s recipe is none other than the delicious Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Recipe. It’s one of my all-time favorite coffee cake recipes, and I’m excited to share it with you.
This cherry cream cheese coffee cake is an irresistible twist on a classic coffee cake that will have everyone coming back for more. Imagine a buttery, crumbly topping that sits atop a layer of juicy cherries and a creamy cheesecake filling. All this topped off with a lattice of golden brown pastry hugs the tender cherries in its warm embrace, giving you an unforgettable sensory experience.
What I love most about this recipe is how easy it is to make. You don’t need any special skills or equipment. Just follow the step-by-step instructions, and you’ll be rewarded with a delicious pastry that tastes like it was made by a professional baker.
So join me on this culinary adventure, and let’s get started with making the Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Recipe – a delightful addition to your baking repertoire that will leave everyone asking for more!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you have a sweet tooth, you are in for a treat! This Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Recipe is the perfect indulgent dessert for any occasion. You might be wondering why you should try this recipe when there are plenty of other dessert options. Well, let me tell you why you’ll love this recipe.
First, let’s talk about the main ingredient – cherry pie filling. Each bite is bursting with juicy cherries that complement the buttery crumb topping and rich cheesecake filling. This classic combination of flavors is just so irresistible!
Secondly, the recipe is easy to make with basic ingredients such as all-purpose flour, sugar, eggs, and cream cheese. You don’t need to be an expert baker to make this cherry cream cheese coffee cake; anyone can make it.
Additionally, this recipe is versatile and adaptable to suit your preferences. If you prefer a bit of tanginess in your cake, add some sour cream to the batter or swap out the cherries for blackberries or another fruity filling.
Moreover, if you want to impress your guests at a dinner party or brunch, the lattice coffee cake-style creates an aesthetically pleasing and professional-looking cake. It’s sure to bring smiles to everyone’s face at any gathering or occasion.
Lastly, this Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Recipe is perfect for serving a crowd of hungry guests or having as leftovers for breakfast (hey! who says dessert can’t be breakfast?), Storage and reheating are easy when kept under an air-tight container.
In conclusion, with its irresistible flavor combination, ease of preparation and adaptability features as well as aesthetic appeal makes it a must-try recipe that you’ll fall in love with from the first taste!
As a barista, I know that baking is all about precision and getting the right ingredients. Here are the key ingredients you need to make this Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Recipe:
For the cake layer:
- 2 cups (250g/8oz) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (150g/5.3oz) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (115g/4oz) cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup (180g/6.3oz) sour cream
- 1 egg
For the cream cheese filling:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (50g/1.7oz) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
For the cherry topping:
- 21 oz can cherry pie filling
The Recipe How-To
Now, it’s time to start preparing our delicious cherry cream cheese coffee cake. On this section, I will guide you through the step-by-step process of making this delightful cake.
Preparing the Cake Batter
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter, cubed
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the cold cubed butter and cream cheese to the bowl. Using a mixer, mix all ingredients until crumbly.
- Add sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract; mix just until combined.
Making the Cherry Cream Cheese Filling
- Two cans of cherry pie filling (around 21 oz.)
- 8 oz. of soft and creamy cream cheese
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cherry pie filling, cream cheese (softened), and granulated sugar until well-combined.
Assembling and Baking the Cake
- Half of the cake batter you made beforehand
- All of the cherry cream cheese filling
- The other half of cake batter you made beforehand
- Layer half of the cake batter in a greased baking pan.
- Spread cherry cream cheese filling all over the batter, leave some space near the edges.
- Add the remaining cake batter, spread it all over the cherry filling.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the top of the cake appears golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center emerges clean.
Making the Cream Cheese Lattice
- Softened cream cheese (3 oz.)
- 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- In a small bowl, mix together softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, egg yolk, and almond extract until smooth.
- Using a piping bag, create lines over the cooled cherry cream cheese coffee cake.
Congratulations! Your homemade cherry cream cheese coffee cake is ready to serve!
Substitutions and Variations
The Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Recipe is a crowd-pleaser, but there are a few variations to this recipe to make it even more indulgent. Here are some substitutions and variations for you to try:
– Blackberry Pie Filling: If you want to switch things up, try using blackberry pie filling instead of cherry pie filling. The tartness of the blackberries balances out the sweetness of the cream cheese and sugar in the recipe.
– Streusel Topping: Add a crunchy texture and flavor with a streusel topping. To make the topping, mix together 1/2 cup melted butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 1/2 cups flour until crumbly. Sprinkle over the cake before baking.
– Puff Pastry Crust: If you’re short on time or don’t want to make a traditional crust from scratch, use puff pastry as your base. Roll out your puff pastry and fit it into your cake pan. Pour in your cherry cream cheese filling and bake according to the recipe instructions.
– Swap Sour Cream for Greek Yogurt: For a healthier twist, swap out sour cream for Greek yogurt. This will make the cake lighter but still retain its creamy texture.
– Add Almonds: For an extra nutty flavor, add ½ cup of chopped almonds to the cake batter. This will give it that extra crunch.
Remember that substitutions can alter the flavors and textures in your cake recipe so adjust accordingly. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different combinations of ingredients to create new flavors and textures for your coffee cake!
Serving and Pairing
Once you’ve baked the cherry cream cheese coffee cake to perfection, it’s time to serve your delicious creation. You can enjoy this cake as a sweet breakfast treat or as a dessert after dinner. For breakfast, I suggest pairing this cake with a hot cup of fresh coffee or tea to complement the rich flavors of the cream cheese and cherry pie filling.
If you’re serving this cake for dessert, try pairing it with a cool glass of milk or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The richness of the cake will pair well with vanilla ice cream, providing a perfect balance of flavors and textures.
Another excellent way to serve this cake is to warm it up slightly and serve it with whipped cream on top. This gives the cake an added layer of decadence that’s sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
If you’re serving your cherry cream cheese coffee cake at a party or gathering, consider adding fresh cherries or other fruit on top for an extra burst of flavor and color. This will also add an elegant touch to the presentation.
Lastly, if you’re feeling particularly indulgent, try serving this cake with some chocolate shavings or chocolate chips sprinkled on top. The combination of chocolate and cherries is unbeatable in terms of decadence and flavor.
No matter how you serve it, this cherry cream cheese coffee cake is sure to be a hit with anyone who loves sweet treats.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Recipe is perfect for making ahead of time and storing it for future enjoyment. The cake can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Before serving, you can warm up the cake in the oven or microwave. I suggest reheating it in the oven at 350°F for a few minutes to get that warm, freshly baked taste.
To make this coffee cake ahead of time, prepare the batter but do not bake it. Instead, cover the batter tightly with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to bake, simply remove it from the fridge, let it sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes and follow the baking instructions in the recipe.
If you have leftovers, they can also be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. However, the crumb topping may lose some of its crispiness over time in storage. To avoid this issue, you can either add a fresh layer of crumb topping or you can sprinkle a little confectioner’s sugar on top before serving.
Another alternative to storing and reheating this Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Recipe is by freezing it. Wrap each slice tightly in plastic wrap before placing it in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. The slices can be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
When you’re ready to eat this delicious coffee cake again, remove it from the freezer and let it thaw overnight inside your refrigerator. Before serving, place it in the oven at 350°F for about 10-15 minutes until nicely warmed throughout.
By following these simple make-ahead and storage tips while reheating this Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Recipe, you will be able to enjoy this delicious dessert anytime you crave something sweet and comforting!
Tips for Perfect Results
As a barista, I can tell you that the secret to any great coffee-based recipe is in the details. Here are some tips and recommendations for achieving the perfect cherry cream cheese coffee cake every time.
1. Get Everything to Room Temperature – Cold ingredients can cause your cake mixture to separate or curdle, leading to uneven baking and texture. To avoid this, make sure that all ingredients are at room temperature before mixing them together. Take your cream cheese and butter out of the fridge at least an hour before you start cooking.
2. Use Quality Ingredients – The quality of your ingredients matters! Freshly purchased ingredients always make a difference in your cooking experience and result in a better end product. For example, buy high-quality cherry pie filling, fresh eggs, and unsalted butter for best results.
3. Use Good Quality Cream Cheese – Always use good quality cream cheese without artificial flavors or preservatives. This makes a huge difference in flavor and texture since lower-quality cream cheese might contain more water which may affect consistency.
4. Over-mixing is a No-No – Over-mixing your batter can make your coffee cake dense rather than light and fluffy. To avoid this, mix for only the minimum amount of time required and avoid mixing too rigorously.
5. Grease Your Baking Dish Evenly – It’s important to grease your dish evenly to prevent your cake from sticking on one side while sliding down on another side while still hot.
6. Bench Out Air Pockets After Pouring Mixture – Always try to bench out any air pockets after pouring mixture into the baking dish by tapping it lightly to remove any excess air trapped inside.
7. Don’t Open The Oven Door Too Soon – Avoid opening the oven door until the timer goes off or wait until 3/4th through baking time because opening the oven too early will expose the rising cake layer inside to cold surface air that will lead to deflation.
8. Let It Rest – After baking, let your cake cool for at least an hour before cutting into it to avoid losing moisture and texture.
Follow these tips and recommendations, and you’ll be surprised with the results of your delicious cherry cream cheese coffee cake.
Now that you know how to make a delicious cherry cream cheese coffee cake, it’s time to address some frequently asked questions about this recipe. Here are some of the most common inquiries I’ve received from curious bakers who want to perfect this pastry for their next brunch or special occasion.
What makes coffee cake different from cake?
What makes coffee cakes unique is their streusel topping and lack of frosting. Some may have a filling of fruit, nuts, or chocolate baked inside or be swirled with streusel throughout. While they often have a drizzle of glaze on top, this is not a frosting.
How do you make a Mary Berry coffee cake?
For this coffee and walnut cake recipe, you will need 100g of unsalted butter that is softened and some extra for greasing, 100g of caster sugar, 2 large free-range eggs, 100g of self-raising flour, 1 level teaspoon of baking powder, 50g of chopped walnuts, and 1 tablespoon of coffee essence.
How to make a Mary Berry cherry cake?
First things first, let’s get the oven ready by preheating it to 180C/350F/Gas 4. While that’s going on, it’s time to prepare the star of the show – the cherries. Using a sharp knife, chop those beautiful rubies into quarters and set aside.
Next, it’s time to prepare the base for our cherry mix. In a large bowl, measure out all the remaining ingredients and start mixing them thoroughly. Give it a solid two minutes of beating so that everything is nicely combined, and the flavours can mingle together in harmony.
With the oven now heated up and the cherries prepped, it’s time to fold them into our mixture. Carefully mix and swirl the cherries to ensure that they are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
Now that everything is perfectly combined, it’s time to pour our mixture into a suitable baking dish. For best results, ensure that your baking dish is lined with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
Transfer your dish into the preheated oven and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes. During this time, our cherry mixture will rise and turn a beautiful golden-brown colour. To make sure that it is thoroughly cooked, insert a skewer into the centre of the dish. If it comes out clean, congratulations! Your cherry dessert is good to go.
Why is coffee cake so good?
Research has shown that caffeine and sweets are a perfect match. The presence of caffeine in our system affects how we perceive and react to sugar, causing us to seek something sweet to have with it.
In conclusion, this Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Recipe is the perfect addition to your morning coffee ritual or any get-together with friends and family. It’s easy to make, customizable, and absolutely delicious! The cake layer is topped with a creamy cheesecake filling, juicy cherries, and a buttery crumb topping – resulting in a mouthwatering combination of flavors and textures.
But don’t just take my word for it – try the recipe out for yourself! With only a few basic ingredients and simple steps, you can whip up a homemade coffee cake that will rival any bakery’s offerings. And if cherries aren’t your thing, feel free to swap them out for blackberries or another fruit of your choice.
Whether you’re an experienced baker or just starting out, this recipe is sure to impress. So go ahead – treat yourself to a slice of Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake and savor every sweet bite.
Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For cake:
- Combine flour and sugar.
- Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Reserve 3/4 cup of crumble mixture.
- With remaining crumble mixture, add baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in egg, sour cream, and almond extract until blended.
- Press into the bottom and 1" up the sides of an ungreased springform 9" pan with a removable bottom.
- Prepare filling:
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar one minute.
- Add egg, mix well.
- Spread over cake in bottom of pan.
- Carefully top with cherry pie filling.
- Sprinkle with almonds and reserved crumble mixture.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until center is set.
- Cool on a rack 15-20 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen.
- Remove bottom and slide cake out of pan.