Welcome coffee lovers, I am here to present you with a recipe that will turn your ordinary morning into a flavorful indulgence. Are you tired of the same old routine of drinking plain coffee and eating bland breakfasts to start your day? Well, try something exciting such as my cherry almond coffee cake that is both easy to prepare and tremendously delicious.
Let’s talk about the recipe itself. This cake is packed with all the desirable flavors you can think of – almond, cherry, sugar – topped with an almond glaze that’ll take the cake up a notch. You’ll smell the sweet aroma of baking cherries permeating your home as it bakes in your oven. It’s perfect for any occasion; morning coffee, afternoon tea, or dessert after dinner. Trust me, one bite of this cake, and you’d never want to put it down.
This recipe calls for only the finest selection and measures of ingredients like white sugar, cherry pie filling, all-purpose flour, baking powder, margarine, eggs, and milk blended together in perfect proportions to create this masterpiece.
Now that I’ve whetted your appetite let’s get started on creating an irresistible cherry almond coffee cake that will instantly become one of your favorite desserts.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Coffee and cake are the perfect combination for any time of day, and this cherry coffee cake with almond glaze recipe is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. Here are just a few reasons why you’ll love this recipe:
1. The combination of cherry and almond flavors is unbeatable. The sweetness of the cherries complements the nuttiness of the almonds perfectly, creating a flavor profile that is both sophisticated and comforting.
2. This recipe is easy to follow and requires relatively common ingredients. With just a few simple steps, you’ll have a delicious cake in no time.
3. The almond glaze takes this cake to the next level. With its rich and creamy texture, this glaze will make you feel like you’re indulging in something truly special.
4. This recipe can be easily customized to suit your preferences. If you prefer a stronger coffee flavor, simply add more coffee to your batter. Or if you want to make this cake more decadent, use dark chocolate chips instead of cherries.
5. This cherry coffee cake with almond glaze recipe is not only delicious but also nutritious. With ingredients like milk, eggs, and flour, this cake provides you with essential nutrients that will keep you energized throughout the day.
Overall, this recipe is a winner for anyone who loves coffee cakes, cherry almond flavors, and easy-to-follow recipes that deliver on taste and satisfaction. Whether you’re serving it up for breakfast or as an after-dinner treat, this cherry coffee cake with almond glaze is sure to please even the most discerning palates.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this delicious Cherry Coffee Cake with Almond Glaze Recipe:
For the Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup margarine, softened
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
For the Almond Glaze:
- 1 ¼ cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons water
- Sliced almonds
Note: Make sure to use a large bowl for mixing all the ingredients together.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have gone through the ingredients, it’s time to move on to the recipe how-to. Follow these easy steps to create the perfect Cherry Coffee Cake with Almond Glaze:
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
Preheat your oven to 375°F.
Step 2: Mix Ingredients
In a large bowl, mix together 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, 3/4 cup of white sugar, and 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
Step 3: Add Wet Ingredients
To the dry mixture, add 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of margarine, and 2 eggs. Mix until smooth.
Step 4: Add Cherry Pie Filling
Add in 1 can of cherry pie filling (21 oz) and mix until fully incorporated.
Step 5: Prepare Pan
Grease a 9-inch springform cake pan and pour in the batter.
Step 6: Bake
Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Step 7: Make the Almond Glaze
While your cake is baking, make the almond glaze by mixing together 1 cup of icing sugar, 1/4 cup of milk, 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract, and a handful of sliced almonds.
Step 8: Apply Glaze
Once your cake is finished baking, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing it from the pan. Once cooled, apply the almond glaze onto the cake using a pastry brush.
There you have it! A delicious Cherry Coffee Cake with Almond Glaze that will surely impress your friends and family!
Substitutions and Variations
Coffee cake is a versatile dessert that can be easily adapted to accommodate different tastes and preferences. Here are some substitutions and variations that you can try out for this recipe:
– Cherry-Almond Twist: Instead of using cherry pie filling, you can use sliced almonds and almond paste to create the almond twist variation of the coffee cake. Simply reduce the amount of white sugar in the recipe to balance out the sweetness.
– Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake: Add a layer of cream cheese filling between the layers of cherry pie filling for a decadent and creamy twist to the regular coffee cake.
– Maraschino Cherry Bundt Cake: Use maraschino cherries instead of cherry pie filling for a flavorful twist to your coffee cake. You could also add them as toppings on the glaze for a dramatic look.
– Cinnamon Coffee Cake: If you are not a fan of cherries, you could switch up the filling with cinnamon sugar swirls. Adding some cinnamon to your glaze recipe will take your coffee cake to new heights.
– Yellow Cake Mix: If you are short on time or desire to limit your baking process, substitute yellow cake mix instead of all-purpose flour, egg and baking powder mix. Be aware that this alternative may yield less impressive results, but experimenting is part of the fun.
These variations are just the beginning! Experiment with different fillings such as apple pie, chocolate chips, blueberries, or raspberries or top-offs like whipped cream and fresh fruit for an elegant touch. The options are endless! While subbing items in or out, keep in mind the importance of balancing flavor and taste—it’s what makes a great cup of joe stand out from an average cup, after all.
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving Cherry Coffee Cake with Almond Glaze, I recommend cutting the cake into generous wedges and serving it slightly warm, with a dollop of whipped cream or a drizzle of extra almond glaze.
As for pairing, this cake is the perfect accompaniment to a cup of hot coffee tea or actual coffee. The combination of cherry and almond flavors pairs well with bold, earthy coffees like a medium roast blend.
For those who prefer a more experimental twist, I suggest pairing this cake with almond flavored coffee, which will bring out the nutty flavors in the glaze while complementing the cherry filling.
If you want to impress guests at a special event or dinner party, adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of the warm cherry coffee cake can elevate the experience further. The cold sweetness of the ice cream contrasts beautifully with the warmth and spice of the cake.
Additionally, Cherry Coffee Cake with Almond Glaze makes for an excellent dessert option when entertaining. It is easy to make ahead and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Overall, this luscious cake is incredibly versatile and serves as an excellent treat anytime all year round. Whether you’re indulging solo or sharing with friends and family, there’s no denying that this recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
If you’re planning on serving this cherry coffee cake with almond glaze at a party or event, you may want to consider making it ahead of time. This can help ease your workload and leave you with more time to focus on other aspects of the gathering.
To make this cake ahead of time, simply follow the recipe instructions as normal and let it cool completely. Once cooled, wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make sure to store the almond glaze separately in an airtight container.
When you’re ready to serve the cake, take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature for about an hour. Reheat the almond glaze by placing it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds, stirring well afterward.
If you have any leftover cake or glaze, store them separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator. The cake will stay fresh for up to 3 days, while the glaze should be consumed within a day or two.
To reheat individual slices of cherry coffee cake, simply microwave them for 10-15 seconds or place them in a warm oven (about 300°F) for 5-10 minutes. The buttery flavors and textures of this cake hold up well during reheating, so you don’t have to worry about losing the delicious flavors.
Overall, this cherry coffee cake with almond glaze is a perfect dessert option that is easy to make ahead, store and reheat. Just follow these simple instructions, and you’ll have a tasty treat ready whenever you need it!
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to baking, there’s always room for improvement. That’s why I’m going to give you some tips for perfect results when making this Cherry Coffee Cake With Almond Glaze Recipe.
1. Measure Accurately
Measuring ingredients accurately is crucial in baking. Use measuring cups and spoons instead of estimating the amount of flour, sugar, or any other ingredient you need. Remember that baking is science, so precise measurements are a must!
2. Use Room Temperature Ingredients
Using room temperature eggs, milk, and margarine will help them mix better with the dry ingredients, resulting in a more consistent batter. Leave them out on the counter for about an hour before using them.
3. Don’t Overmix The Batter
Overmixing the batter can make it tough and dry. Mix until all ingredients are combined, and no lumps remain. Be careful not to overdo it!
4. Take Care When Adding The Cherry Pie Filling
When adding the cherry pie filling to your batter, use a spatula to fold it in gently. This will ensure that the cherries are evenly distributed throughout the cake.
5. Bake At The Right Temperature And Time
Baking at the right temperature (375°F) and time (35 minutes) is essential for a perfect coffee cake. A nice golden-brown color signals that your cake is ready. If you’re unsure, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake; if it comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached, your cake is ready!
6. Let It Cool Before Glazing
Before glazing your Cherry Coffee Cake With Almond Glaze Recipe, let it cool completely first. This will prevent your glaze from melting and soaking into your cake.
7. Add Sliced Almonds To Garnish
For a touch of crunchiness and extra flavor, top your glazed cherry coffee cake with sliced almonds before serving. It will give an almond twist to this recipe and make it even more delicious!
With these tips, you’ll achieve perfect results every time you make this Cherry Coffee Cake With Almond Glaze Recipe. Happy baking!
In conclusion, this cherry coffee cake with almond glaze recipe is a must-try for all coffee and pastry lovers out there. With its perfect blend of the sweet and tart flavors of glazed cherry and almond, it not only satisfies your taste buds but also makes you crave for more.
You can feel free to experiment with this recipe by incorporating different substitutes and alternate ingredients to make it your own. Whether it be switching the cherry pie filling with other fruit fillings or adding nuts of your choice, the possibilities for variation are endless.
Once you’ve perfected this recipe, you can always serve it as an impressive dessert at any gathering or get-together. It is sure to win the hearts of all those who try it, leaving them satisfied and asking for seconds.
Lastly, I must remind you that mastering any recipe takes practice, patience, and attention to details. So don’t be discouraged if your initial attempts don’t turn out as expected. Persistence will lead to perfection, and soon you’ll be able to create this cherry coffee cake with almond glaze like a pro!
So go ahead and give this recipe a try! I assure you that this cherry coffee cake with almond glaze has the potential to become one of your new favorite desserts in no time.
Cherry Coffee Cake With Almond Glaze Recipe
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 19 ounces cherry pie filling (540 ml)
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- sliced almonds
- For coffee cake: cream together the margarine and sugar. Add 1 egg at a time to creamed mixture; mix well.
- Add remaining cake ingredients except pie filling; mix well.
- Spread 2/3 batter in 10x15" cookie sheet with spatula. Pour pie filling over top and spread evenly over batter.
- Drop remaining batter over top; do not spread. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes.
- For almond glaze:
- Sift icing sugar into mixing bowl; cream together with margarine.
- Gradually add milk, a tablespoon at a time until spreading consistency is reached. Add almond extract.
- Spread over warm cake. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.