Welcome, coffee and cake lovers! I’m here to introduce you to a recipe that will sweeten your day and fill your home with the delightful aroma of freshly baked treats. Get ready to indulge in a Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake that takes an ordinary coffee break to the next level.
This recipe is perfect for those who love the combination of coffee and the fruity flavor of cherry. The Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake is made with love and only requires a few ingredients – they are simple yet come together deliciously. This delectable treat is perfect for breakfast, brunch or dessert, or even as a snack to share with family and friends.
Whether you’re an experienced baker looking for new ideas or someone who wants to try something new, this recipe is for you. Its simplicity and versatility make it great for any occasion. And if you’re looking for something gluten-free, we’ve got substitutions for you too!
With just a few steps, you can enjoy homemade cake sprinkled with powdered sugar that melts in your mouth. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get baking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for the perfect coffee cake recipe that will leave your taste buds wanting more? Look no further, as the cherry swirl coffee cake recipe is here to save your day!
This coffee cake is a delicious blend of sweet cherry pie filling swirled into a light and fluffy coffee cake, creating the perfect texture and balance of flavors. It’s the ideal treat for those who enjoy a sweet breakfast or afternoon snack.
One thing that makes this recipe stand out is how easy it is to make; all you need are some simple ingredients that you most likely already have in your pantry. The cherry pie filling adds a burst of flavor while also making this coffee cake look bright, fun, and just overall appealing.
The original Bisquick mix makes the process faster and less of a hassle. The mix has all the necessary baking ingredients, including flour and baking powder, so there’s no need to worry about measuring the perfect amount of each ingredient. Plus, if you’re avoiding gluten or just watching your wheat intake, this recipe can easily be adapted by using a gluten-free Bisquick mix.
Another great feature of this recipe is its versatility. Substituting almond extract for vanilla extract or adding a touch of cinnamon can be enough to add variety to this classic recipe. There’s also an opportunity to experiment with different toppings or perhaps adding an almond crumble topping for an extra crunch – essentially making it your own.
So go ahead, grab your favorite mug of hot coffee or tea and indulge in this delectable treat that will leave you craving more. This cherry swirl coffee cake will not disappoint any sweet tooth cravings!
For the cake:
- 4 cups Original Bisquick mix
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup Crisco shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
For the cherry swirl:
- 1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
For the almond crumble topping (optional):
- 2/3 cup Original Bisquick mix
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
A quick note before we start: for those who follow a gluten-free diet, you can use Bisquick Gluten-Free Pancake & Baking Mix instead of Original Bisquick mix.
Now that we’ve gathered all our ingredients, let’s move to next section to see why you’ll love this recipe!
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s move onto the fun part: making the cherry swirl coffee cake! Follow these simple steps for a successful baking experience.
Preheat the Oven and Prepare the Pan
First things first, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch bundt pan with Crisco shortening, ensuring every nook and cranny is coated. Dust flour over the top of the shortening until it’s all covered, shaking out any excess flour.
Mix the Cake Batter
In a large mixing bowl, mix together 4 cups of original Bisquick mix and 2 cups of granulated sugar. In another bowl, whisk together 1 cup of milk, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon of almond extract, and 4 eggs. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
Next, add in 1/2 cup of melted butter (or margarine) and stir until fully incorporated.
Create the Cherry Swirl
Take out 1/4 cup of the cake batter and set it aside in a small bowl. In that same bowl, add in 1/4 cup of cherry pie filling and mix well.
In another small bowl, mix together another 1/4 cup of cherry pie filling with 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar.
Once those two mixtures are ready, alternately spoon half of the cake batter into the prepared bundt pan followed by spoonfuls of each cherry mixture. Use a knife or skewer to swirl the batters together gently.
Bake the Cake
Put the bundt pan on a baking sheet and bake for about 50-60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cool and Serve
Allow your gorgeous creation to cool for at least 15 minutes before turning it out onto a plate. You can make this coffee cake ahead of time and store it in the fridge overnight. Dust powdered sugar over the top, slice, and serve with your favorite cup of coffee!
Enjoy your cherry swirl coffee cake and make sure to share it with your loved ones.
Substitutions and Variations
Are you someone who likes to put their own twist on recipes? Fear not, because the cherry swirl coffee cake recipe allows for some substitutions and variations. Here are a few recommendations to consider:
– Gluten-free: For those with gluten sensitivities, try substituting the original Bisquick mix with a gluten-free alternative. This will still give the cake a light and fluffy texture without any of the unwanted side effects.
– Almond crumble topping: If you’re looking for an extra crunchy and nutty addition to your coffee cake, consider adding an almond crumble topping. Simply mix together 1 cup of sliced almonds, 1/2 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of light brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Use this as a topping for your cake before baking for an added layer of flavor.
– Sour cream filling: For an extra creamy and tangy filling, consider mixing 8 ounces of softened cream cheese with 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. Spread this mixture on top of the cherry filling before adding the top layer of cake batter.
– Betty Crocker mix: If you’re in a hurry or simply don’t feel like making the coffee cake from scratch, try using a Betty Crocker coffee cake mix instead. Simply follow the package instructions but add a can of cherry pie filling as well for that delicious cherry swirl flavor.
– Bundt cake: If you want to switch things up from the traditional rectangular pan, bake your coffee cake in a bundt pan instead. This will give your final product a beautiful presentation that is perfect for a special occasion or when entertaining guests.
By incorporating these substitutions and variations, you can elevate this already delicious recipe to new heights. So go ahead and experiment to discover what works best for you!
Serving and Pairing
Once your Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake is out of the oven and ready to be served, let it cool for a few minutes before cutting it into generous slices. The aroma of this sweet and flavorful cake will undoubtedly make your mouth water and leave your guests asking for more.
One of my favorite ways to serve this cake is with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. The contrast between the tangy cherry pie filling and the rich creaminess of these toppings is divine.
If you’re feeling adventurous, pair your Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake with a cup of strong coffee. The combination of the cake’s sweetness and the bitter notes of coffee are truly a match made in heaven. You can also try serving the cake with a cup of tea, like orange pekoe or earl grey, to enjoy its full flavor profile.
For those who prefer something lighter, try pairing this coffee cake with a glass of cold milk or freshly squeezed orange juice. The acidity from the citrus juice will cut through the richness of the cake and refresh your palate.
Finally, if you’re hosting a brunch or afternoon tea party, serve your Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake alongside other treats like almond crumble or sour cream bundt cake. These tasty options will complement each other well and add variety to your menu.
No matter how you decide to serve it, this Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake recipe is sure to please any crowd.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the advantages of this Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake Recipe is that it can be made ahead of time and served throughout the week. You can prepare the whole cake or just the batter and keep it in the refrigerator for a couple of days. The batter can also be stored in the freezer for up to two months. When ready to bake, thaw the batter in the refrigerator overnight and pour it into a greased pan.
Once baked, let the cake cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into slices. If you have leftovers, wrap them tightly with cling film and store them in the refrigerator, where they will keep for up to five days.
When reheating, there are two options to choose from:
1) Microwave: Place individual slices on a microwavable plate and heat them for about 15-20 seconds on high temperature until warm.
2) Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). If you’ve stored a whole cake, cut it into slices before reheating. Place the slices on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and heat them up for 5-7 minutes or until warm.
For an extra indulgent dessert, serve slices of this Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. It’s an unforgettable combination that will make your taste buds dance with joy!
Tips for Perfect Results
As a barista and avid coffee lover, I’ve learned a few tricks that can help you make the perfect Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake. Here are some of my top tips for achieving bakery-level results in your own kitchen.
First of all, be sure to measure all of your ingredients accurately. Baking is often a science, and even small variations in the amount of flour or sugar used can have a big impact on the final result. Use measuring cups and spoons to ensure you’re using the correct amounts of each ingredient called for in the recipe.
When mixing your coffee cake batter, avoid overworking it. Mix just until all ingredients are incorporated; over-mixing can cause the cake to become dense and tough. You want it to be light and airy, with a tender crumb.
Another important factor to keep in mind is temperature. Be sure to let your ingredients come to room temperature before starting the recipe. This helps them incorporate better, resulting in a more consistent batter that bakes more evenly.
For an extra touch of flavor, consider adding some almond extract to your coffee cake. Just a teaspoon or two can really take it to the next level.
If you prefer a denser cake texture, consider substituting sour cream for some of the milk called for in the recipe. This can also add tanginess and richness to the cake’s flavor profile.
Finally, don’t forget that presentation matters! Serve your Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake with a generous dusting of powdered sugar on top or with a dollop of whipped cream on the side. These small touches can help elevate a simple coffee cake into an impressive dessert worthy of any special occasion.
In conclusion, this cherry swirl coffee cake recipe is the perfect treat for any occasion. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s also deliciously sweet and comforting. With its cherry swirls, almond undertones, and fluffy texture, this cake is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.
Whether you’re hosting a brunch with friends or just want a tasty dessert on hand, this coffee cake recipe is a must-try. Plus, with the numerous substitutions and variations available to you, there are endless possibilities to make this recipe your own.
And with the tips and advice provided throughout this article, you can be confident that your cherry swirl coffee cake will come out perfectly every time. From the ingredients list to serving suggestions, we’ve covered everything you need to know to make this recipe a success.
So why not give it a try? Whip up a batch of our cherry swirl coffee cake and enjoy the warm, comforting flavors in every bite. Trust us – you won’t be disappointed!
Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup Crisco shortening (I use butter flavored)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 21 ounces can cherry pie filling
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- Mix all cake ingredients except pie filling.
- Stir until just mixed.
- Generously grease jelly roll pan or two 9-inch cake pans.
- Spread 2/3 of batter into pan.
- Spread pie filling over batter.
- Drop remaining batter by tablespoonsful onto pie filling.
- Spread tablespoons of batter together as much as possible.
- (Not all of pie filling will be covered.).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes or until done.
- Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over cake while still warm.