Greetings coffee lovers! As a barista, I know that no morning is complete without a steaming cup of coffee to sip on or dunk our favorite breakfast pastries in. Today, I am excited to share with you my favorite recipe for an irresistible and utterly delicious coffee cake. This classic recipe is the ultimate indulgence and guaranteed to bring a smile to your face.
This recipe has been passed down to me from my grandmother who was a passionate baker known for her baking prowess. She would wake up early each morning and start the day by making a fresh pot of coffee and a batch of her signature coffee cake. Her secret was using only the finest ingredients, a lot of love, and attention to detail in every step of the process.
My grandmother would always say that a good coffee cake should be light and fluffy, with just the right amount of sweetness and spice, and most importantly, crumbles perfectly at every bite. And that’s exactly what this coffee cake recipe delivers!
So, whether you’re looking for something a little indulgent to treat yourself or something special to share with your loved ones during brunch, this coffee cake recipe is sure to satisfy all your cravings. Get ready to indulge in one of the best recipes ever created – my grandma’s classic coffee cake!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Coffee cake is a breakfast classic, but not all coffee cakes are created equal. That’s why I’m excited to share with you my favorite coffee cake recipe! This coffee cake has the perfect balance of sweetness, texture, and crumb. If you love breakfast pastries that are soft, fluffy, and buttery with a hint of cinnamon, then you’ll absolutely adore this recipe.
One of the things that makes this coffee cake so special is the crumb topping. It’s made with firm butter and cinnamon mixed into a generous amount of brown sugar, creating a delightful texture that perfectly complements the moist cake base. Every bite will be packed full of flavor and leave you wanting more.
But what sets it apart from other recipes is the use of sour cream. It provides a subtle tang and richness to the coffee cake that you won’t find in other recipes. Plus, it helps make the cake incredibly moist and tender. Trust me when I say that once you try this, it’ll quickly become your go-to breakfast pastry recipe.
Whether you’re looking for an easy breakfast to make on busy mornings or want to impress guests with a delicious homemade treat, this coffee cake recipe is perfect for any occasion. Serve it warm with your favorite cup of coffee or tea, and enjoy its sweet aroma filling up your kitchen.
In short, if you want a delectable and wonderfully fluffy coffee cake that’s easy to make at home with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry, then look no further than this recipe! Wake up to one of the best breakfasts ever with this scrumptious treat.
Here are all the ingredients you will need to make this delicious coffee cake recipe:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of room temperature unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup of milk
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
For the crumb topping:
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ cup of firm butter
For the sour cream coffee cake:
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- A pinch of kosher salt
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Many variations to this famous recipe include Blueberry Coffee Cake, Sour Cream Coffee Cake, or even Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake! But whatever variation you choose, with these ingredients, your aromatic coffee cake will wake up your senses and be sure to become one of the best recipes ever in your cookbook.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we’ve covered the reasons why you’ll love this recipe, let’s move on to the step-by-step how-to. Follow these directions closely for a delicious and easy coffee cake that everyone will love!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter,
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease a baking dish or pan with butter.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl gradually alternating with milk until everything is combined and smooth.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Using a small mixing bowl, mix together the crumb topping ingredients using your fingers or with a pastry cutter until crumbly.
- Sprinkle half of the crumb mixture evenly over the batter in your pan.
- Pour in the rest of your batter on top of this layer.
- Cover the batter with another layer of crumbs and press gently so they stick in place.
- Bake the cake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a fork comes out clean when inserted in the center of the cake.
That’s it! You now have a delicious coffee cake with a sweet crumb topping. Enjoy it warm with a cup of coffee or keep it for tomorrow as a fresh breakfast. Have fun trying other variations and experimenting with your own twists on this classic recipe!
Substitutions and Variations
Hey there! I know that sometimes we don’t have all the ingredients needed for a recipe, or maybe we just want to add a little twist to our favorite coffee cake recipe. Here are some substitutions and variations that you can try:
– Sour cream: If you don’t have sour cream, you can use Greek yogurt instead. It will give a similar texture and tangy flavor to the cake.
– Brown sugar: Light brown sugar can be substituted with dark brown sugar or even granulated white sugar. Just keep in mind that dark brown sugar has more molasses and can affect the flavor of the cake.
– Butter: You can substitute unsalted butter with shortening or margarine. Just keep in mind that the texture and flavor might change a bit.
– Flour: All-purpose flour is the best choice for this recipe, but if you want to make it gluten-free, you can use almond flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour.
– Cinnamon: If you’re not a fan of cinnamon, you can substitute it with nutmeg, cardamom, or even pumpkin pie spice.
– Toppings: The crumb topping is my favorite part of this coffee cake recipe, but you can also try adding fruits like blueberries, strawberries, or peaches. Or you can try drizzling some caramel or chocolate sauce on top.
I hope these substitutions and variations give you some ideas to experiment with your coffee cake recipe. Remember to have fun in the kitchen and don’t be afraid to try new things!
Serving and Pairing
Now that your scrumptious coffee cake is ready to serve, it’s time to think about its perfect pairing. While coffee is an obvious choice, you can also pair it with hot tea or even some refreshing milk.
If you’re hosting a brunch or breakfast gathering, try serving your coffee cake alongside some fresh fruits like berries and kiwi. The sweet and tangy flavors of these fruits will perfectly complement the rich and buttery taste of the cake.
For dessert, serve your coffee cake with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. The cold and creamy texture of these desserts are a delicious contrast to the warm and crumbly texture of the cake.
But if you want a classic pairing, stick with a good cup of joe. Whether it’s black coffee or creamy cappuccino, the bold and robust flavor of coffee will make for an excellent companion to your coffee cake.
Remember, while there are many pairings to choose from, the essence of coffee cake is its versatility. It goes well with almost anything, so don’t hesitate to experiment and find your personal favorite combination. Enjoy!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Coffee cake is a great breakfast treat that can be eaten fresh from the oven, but it’s also a good idea to make this delicious dessert ahead of time. After all, who can resist a warm slice of coffee cake in the morning? Luckily, this recipe is perfect for making ahead of time and storing for later.
If you want to make this coffee cake recipe in advance, just follow the instructions on how to prepare and bake the cake and then allow it to cool completely. Once it’s cooled, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
When you’re ready to eat it again, simply remove it from the fridge and reheat in the microwave or oven until warm. If you’re short on time and need to reheat slices individually, try wrapping them in damp paper towels and microwaving them for 10-15 seconds.
It’s important to note that while this cake can be stored at room temperature, it’s best kept refrigerated if you’re planning on keeping it for more than a day. Keeping the cake chilled will help prevent bacterial growth and ensure its freshness.
If you’ve made too much coffee cake or want to freeze some for later, this recipe is great for that too! Just wrap individual slices tightly with plastic wrap and place them in an airtight container or freezer bag. Freeze for up to three months.
To unfreeze, remove the slice(s) from the freezer and allow them to thaw in the fridge overnight. Then reheat by following one of the methods mentioned above.
By following these simple storing and reheating instructions, your coffee cake will be just as delicious as when you first made it!
Tips for Perfect Results
No matter how many times you’ve made a coffee cake, each recipe is different and requires attention to detail. That’s why I’m sharing my tried-and-true tips for making the perfect coffee cake every time!
Tip 1: Use Firm Butter. Firm butter is necessary for a good crumb and ensuring that your cake doesn’t become dense or greasy. It helps the cake hold its structure while baking and gives you are lighter texture.
Tip 2: Check Temperature. Always ensure that your ingredients such as eggs and butter, are at room temperature before mixing. Mixing cold butter can cause lumps in your batter which can lead to uneven texture while a mixture of warm butter will likely melt in the oven.
Tip 3: Measure Carefully. Measure all the ingredients accurately to prevent any baking disasters. Measuring cups should be packed with flour and leveled off to make certain that you have the right amount of flour in your batter.
Tip 4: Don’t Overmix. Although it’s tempting to overmix our batter, it’s one of the biggest mistakes when making coffee cakes! Overmixing results in hard, dense cakes, so mix the batter until it’s just blended.
Tip 5: Experiment with Substitutions. To get unique flavors in your coffee cake and make it yours, try adding nuts or fruits like blueberries or strawberries into your crumble topping or into your cake itself.
Tip 6: Use Good-Quality Ingredients. Using only high-quality ingredients is key for getting great results every time you bake – not only for this recipe but for all your baked goods!
Tip 7: Allow Enough Time for Cooling Down and Resting. Give plenty of time to cool down after baking because hot cakes tend to fall apart when sliced.
In summary, these tips will give you an amazing coffee cake every time you bake it! With patience and practice, these useful tipswill elevate your recipe to perfection.
In conclusion, this sour cream coffee cake recipe is the perfect comfort food to enjoy any time of the day. The warm aroma of cinnamon, combined with the crumbly texture and the creamy taste of sour cream, creates a unique and memorable experience for your taste buds. This recipe is easy to follow and requires only simple ingredients that you can find in your pantry.
Don’t hesitate to make this recipe, whether it’s for a special occasion or just to indulge in a delicious treat on a lazy Sunday morning. It’s ideal for any coffee lover who loves a sweet, tender and creamy cake that pairs perfectly with their favorite cup of joe.
I hope you will try this recipe out for yourself, and remember that you can always add your twists and variations to make it even more fabulous. So what are you waiting for? Let’s bake an irresistible cream coffee cake that is sure to become one of your all-time favorites!
And always remember: happiness is like a warm cup of coffee in one hand and a slice of amazing sour cream coffee cake on the other!
Favorite Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons firm butter
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease pan.
- Combine topping ingredients until crumbly and put aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients and spread in pan.
- Sprinkle topping over batter.
- Bake 25 - 30 minute.