Welcome to my Streusel-Filled Coffee Cake recipe, where I share with you one of my all-time favorite coffee cake recipes that never fails to impress. As a barista and coffee lover, I’m always on the lookout for delicious treats that pair perfectly with a steaming cup of joe, and this coffee cake is no exception.
With its moist and fluffy texture, swirled cinnamon filling, and buttery brown sugar streusel topping, this cake is like a warm hug in dessert form. Whether you’re looking to impress your guests or simply treat yourself to something decadent, this Streusel-Filled Coffee Cake recipe is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
Not only does this coffee cake taste amazing, but it’s also super easy to make with just a handful of pantry staples. So, grab your apron and let’s get baking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you a coffee-lover searching for the perfect complement to your morning cup of joe? Look no further than this Streusel-Filled Coffee Cake Recipe.
This cake recipe is perfect for those seeking a sweet breakfast or snack option that pairs perfectly with a hot cup of coffee. The combination of cinnamon, brown sugar, and streusel gives the cake a delectable texture and taste that will have you coming back for seconds.
But what sets this coffee cake recipe apart from the rest is its versatility. You can enjoy it as a simple, satisfying snack or turn it into an extravagant dessert by adding ice cream or caramel sauce. The options are endless, making this recipe perfect for any time of day or occasion.
Not only is this recipe delicious, but it’s also easy to make. With simple ingredients like all-purpose flour, sugar, eggs, and buttermilk, you can whip up a batch of this Streusel-Filled Coffee Cake in no time.
So why settle for plain toast or store-bought pastries when you could add a little sweetness and warmth to your mornings? Give this recipe a try and see how it transforms your coffee-drinking experience. Trust me, your taste buds will thank you.
Before we begin, let’s gather all the ingredients we’ll need for this streusel-filled coffee cake recipe! Here’s what you’ll need:
For the streusel topping:
- 1 and 1/2 cups (187g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the cake batter:
- 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 and 1/4 cups (250g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 cup of chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts.
Make sure to measure each ingredient accurately for desired results.
The Recipe How-To
Now, it’s time to put all the ingredients together and make this delicious streusel-filled coffee cake come to life.
1. Preheat the oven
First things first, preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. Make the cinnamon streusel filling
In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup of light brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour with a fork until well-combined. Then, add in 4 tablespoons of softened butter and use a pastry cutter or fork to blend until you have a crumbly mixture. Set aside.
3. Mix the dry ingredients
In a large bowl, whisk together 3 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt until combined.
4. Mix the wet ingredients
In another large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup of unsalted butter and 1 cup of granulated sugar using an electric mixer or stand mixer on medium speed. Next, add in 2 eggs, one at a time while continuing to mix on medium speed. Then, add in 1 cup of buttermilk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract while still mixing.
5. Combine wet and dry ingredients
Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until fully combined. It should be thick yet still pourable.
6. Assemble the coffee cake
Prepare a greased or lined pan (9×13 inches) with cooking spray or parchment paper.
Spread half batter mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan and then spread half of your cinnamon streusel filling over top.
Next, spread out the remaining batter on top of that layer and cover with the rest of the streusel filling.
Bake in preheated oven at 350°F for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow your coffee cake to cool completely before slicing and serving.
This recipe may take some time and effort, but it’s certainly worth it in the end. You’ll never look back once you’ve tasted this delicious, moist, cinnamon-packed coffee cake with that perfect crumbly streusel topping. Happy baking!
Substitutions and Variations
As a barista, I am all about creativity and experimentation, so if you’re a fan of adding your own flair, this section is for you! One of the best things about this streusel-filled coffee cake recipe is that there’s plenty of room for customization. Here are a few substitutions and variations to try:
– Filling Variations: While the cinnamon streusel filling is a classic choice, feel free to switch things up by using fruit or cream cheese. You can try apple cinnamon crumb or cream cheese coffee filling. Betty Crocker’s recipe for Bisquick coffee cake with an apple streusel topping would also be a lovely substitute.
– Flour Alternatives: For those who prefer gluten-free options, you can substitute all-purpose flour with an equal amount of almond flour or coconut flour. King Arthur Flour’s Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour blend would also be a great replacement.
– Sugar Substitutes: If you’re looking to cut down on sugar, you can always use granulated sweeteners like maple sugar or coconut sugar in place of brown sugar. Keep in mind that these will have different flavors and textures than what the recipe calls for.
– Swap between Shortening and Butter: For those who want a healthier option, Swapping shortening with butter is just fine. Keep in mind that butter generally has more flavor to it than shortening.
– Topping Variations: Try swapping out the cinnamon topping for something else like a granola or chocolate chip crumb topping.
Remember When changing ingredients or measurements, keep in mind that it might change the texture, flavor or outcome of the cake. There may be some trial and error involved so don’t hesitate to experiment to find the perfect combination that fits your taste preference.
Serving and Pairing
Now that you’ve made this heavenly Streusel-Filled Coffee Cake Recipe, it’s time to serve and enjoy it. This coffee cake is a perfect way to start your day or to satisfy your sweet cravings in the afternoon.
I recommend pairing this cake with a cup of your favorite coffee. It would be best to choose one that has a mild flavor profile since the cinnamon and brown sugar flavors of the cake are already robust. You may also pick herbal tea or hot chocolate if you don’t drink coffee.
If you want to take it up a notch, you can add fresh fruits like apple slices or blueberries on top of the cake. The tartness of the apples or the sweetness of the berries pairs well with the buttery and cinnamon flavors of the cake.
Another fantastic way to serve it is by adding a dollop of cream cheese frosting on top. The frosting complements the spiciness of the cinnamon, and it adds a luscious texture to each bite. You may also add whipped cream to make it more indulgent.
In terms of serving size, I recommend slicing into small portions since it’s quite filling. You can store any leftover cake in an airtight container in your fridge for up to four days.
Whether served on its own or with fruity toppings, this coffee cake is sure to impress everyone who tastes it. So enjoy baking this recipe, and I guarantee that every bite will be worth savoring.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the great things about this Streusel-Filled Coffee Cake Recipe is that it can easily be made ahead of time, and it stores well too. This means you can enjoy a delicious, fresh slice without the hassle of making a whole new cake every time.
To make ahead, simply follow the recipe as usual, then let the cake cool completely before tightly covering and placing it in the refrigerator for up to five days.
When you’re ready to serve, take the cake out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour to take off the chill. You can also reheat individual slices in the microwave or for a few minutes in a warm oven (350°F or lower), which will give them that freshly baked taste and aroma.
If you have leftovers, store in an air-tight container or wrap tightly with plastic wrap and keep them on your kitchen counter for up to three days. For longer storage, place slices in a foil-lined freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
When you’re ready to eat them, take the slice out of the freezer bag, let it thaw at room temperature for about 2-3 hours( or overnight), reheat as mentioned above and enjoy! If you prefer your slices cold, skip the reheating step altogether.
Remember to keep any cream cheese coffee cake toppings refrigerated until serving time. Follow these steps and you’ll never have stale or dry coffee cake again!
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to baking, it’s not only about following the recipe, but also having some key tips and tricks up your sleeve. Here are a few tips for baking the best Streusel-Filled Coffee Cake:
1. Use room temperature ingredients: When baking cakes, it’s always a good idea to use room temperature butter and eggs. This will ensure that your batter mixes evenly and results in a soft, fluffy texture.
2. Don’t overmix the batter: Be sure to mix the ingredients only until just combined, as overmixing can result in a dense and tough cake. When folding in the dry ingredients, be sure to do it gently and slowly.
3. Prepare the streusel topping correctly: Make sure to use cold butter when preparing the streusel topping. This will create chunks of butter in the topping that melt while baking and give a delightful texture to the cake.
4. Don’t skimp on the cinnamon filling: The cinnamon filling is what makes this coffee cake so incredibly delicious, so don’t scrimp on this essential ingredient. Use 3/4 cup of brown sugar, mixed with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon for an irresistible flavor.
5. Bake at the correct temperature: Be sure to preheat your oven before adding your coffee cake, and bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until well risen, golden-brown and cooked through.
6. Let it cool completely before serving: Allow the coffee cake to cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes before flipping it out onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely. This helps prevent sticking and ensures a beautiful presentation.
By following these tips and suggestions, you’ll be able to achieve perfect results every time you make this classic Streusel-Filled Coffee Cake recipe. So put on your apron and get ready to impress your friends and family with this delectable treat!
In conclusion, this streusel-filled coffee cake recipe is the perfect addition to any breakfast or weekend brunch spread. Its cinnamon streusel filling and crumbly topping will leave you wanting more with every bite. The ingredients list may seem intimidating, but don’t let it discourage you. With my tips and recommendations and a little bit of practice, you’ll be able to whip up this delicious cake in no time.
If you’re looking for a crowd-pleasing baked good that can be made ahead of time and stored easily, this recipe is exactly what you need. Plus, it’s versatile enough that you can make substitutions and variations to match your own personal taste preferences.
In my experience as a barista and avid baker, there’s nothing quite like the satisfaction that comes from creating something delicious from scratch. So next time you’re in the mood for a sweet treat or want to impress your friends and family with your baking skills, give this streusel-filled coffee cake recipe a try. I guarantee you won’t regret it.
Streusel-Filled Coffee Cake Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup caramel, melted
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease pan.
- Combine topping ingredients until crumbly and put aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients and spread half of the batter in pan, and sprinkle 1/3 of the topping on batter.
- Top with remaining batter and sprinkle with half of remaining topping.
- Bake 30-40 minute in bunt pan, or until golden brown and toothpick when inserted comes out clean.
- When cake has cooled slightly, invert pan onto plat to remove cake.
- Drizzle with caramel.