Listen up, coffee lovers – I’ve got a treat for you! If you’re looking for an easy yet delicious way to kick-start your morning or add some sweetness to your day, you’ve come to the right place. Today’s recipe is a fruity and nutty coffee cake that will leave you yearning for seconds.
This almond coffee cake recipe packs a punch of flavor with either fresh raspberries or blueberries infused with almond streusel topping, making this cake the perfect brunch treat or afternoon snack. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s also moist, fluffy, and loaded with crunchy almonds and juicy berries in every bite.
Whether you prefer a fruity raspberry almond coffee cake or a blueberry almond coffee cake, this recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings due to its heavenly flavor combination. Trust me when I say that once you try this cake, it will become your go-to recipe for all occasions.
So roll up your sleeves and let’s get baking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you a fan of fruity and nutty flavors? Do you love coffee cake for its lightness and versatility? If your answer is yes, then this Raspberry or Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake recipe is tailor-made for you!
This recipe combines the fruity sweetness of fresh raspberries or blueberries with the comforting aroma of almond to make a cake that’s both refreshing and satisfying. It’s also easy to make with simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
But what sets this recipe apart is not just its flavor – it’s also incredibly versatile. You can use fresh raspberries, blueberries or even strawberries to give your cake a different fruity twist. You can also try making it with gluten-free almond flour or use low-carb alternatives for a keto style raspberry cream cheese coffee cake.
And the best part? This cake is perfect for any occasion! Whether you want a quick breakfast treat, an afternoon snack, or an awesome brunch indulgence, this cake can deliver. You could even serve it as a dessert with whipped cream, ice cream or sliced fresh fruit.
So whether you’re looking for a fruity raspberry coffee cake or a nutty blueberry almond coffee cake, look no further than this recipe. It’s a great way to showcase the best of seasonal fruits while enjoying the comfort of a warm and fragrant coffee cake. Trust me; you’ll love it!
Let’s talk about the ingredients needed to make this delicious Raspberry or Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake. Be sure to gather all of the ingredients before starting the process. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup of milk
For the Almond Streusel Topping and Fresh Berries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups fresh raspberries, blueberries or a combination
These ingredients can be substituted for other flavors and dietary requirements but remember that each substitution may impact the flavor, texture or outcome of the recipe.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have gathered all the ingredients necessary for the Raspberry or Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake Recipe, it’s time to get started. Here are the steps you’ll need to follow to make this delicious treat.
Step 1: Preheat Oven and Grease Pan
First, you will need to preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Then, grease a 9-inch round cake pan with butter or cooking spray.
Step 2: Mix Dry Ingredients
In a large bowl, mix together 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup of granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt until well combined.
Step 3: Add Wet Ingredients
Next, in another medium bowl, whisk together 1 egg, 1/2 cup of plain low-fat yogurt, 1/2 cup of melted unsalted butter, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract until smooth. Then, pour the mixture into the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
Step 4: Add Berries
Now it’s time to add the stars of the show! For Raspberry Almond Coffee Cake, fold in 1 cup of fresh raspberries into the batter gently. For Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake, fold in 1 cup of fresh blueberries instead.
Step 5: Prepare Almond Streusel Topping
In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of almond meal. Then, add in 3 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter and a few drops of almond extract (optional). Use your fingers or a fork to mix until it forms a crumbly texture.
Step 6: Top the Cake and Bake
Pour the batter into the greased cake pan and spread it evenly. Sprinkle the almond streusel topping generously over the cake batter. Put the cake on the middle rack of the preheated oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Step 7: Cool and Serve
Once your Raspberry or Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake is done baking, remove it from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Afterward, use a knife to loosen around the edges of the cake and remove it from the pan, placing it onto a wire rack to continue cooling. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Now that you’re an expert in making this fruity coffee cake, try using different types of berries such as strawberries, blackberries, or currants to make this treat even more special!
Substitutions and Variations
Sometimes, we want to mix things up and experiment with different flavors and ingredients. Here are some substitutions and variations that you can try for this raspberry or blueberry almond coffee cake recipe:
– Berries: You can substitute raspberries with blueberries or strawberries or try a combination of all three. Similarly, you can swap the almonds with walnuts or pecans to add a crunchy texture to the cake.
– Flour: All-purpose flour works best for this recipe, but you can also use a gluten-free flour blend or almond flour to make it low-carb and keto-friendly.
– Yogurt: In place of plain low-fat yogurt, you can use Greek yogurt, sour cream, or buttermilk to add tanginess and moisture to the cake.
– Sugar: Instead of granulated sugar, you can use coconut sugar, honey, maple syrup or agave nectar for a healthier version. You could also swap some of the sugar with brown sugar for a richer flavor.
– Streusel Topping: For added sweetness and crunchiness, you can add chocolate chips or diced apples to the streusel topping. You could also sprinkle a little cinnamon for a warm aroma.
– Cream Cheese Swirls: To make a raspberry cream cheese coffee cake, mix 8 oz. softened cream cheese with 1/3 cup granulated sugar and 1 egg. Spread this mixture on top of the batter before adding the raspberry filling.
– Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake: Swap raspberries for fresh blueberries and add 1 tbsp. lemon zest to the batter for a tangy twist.
The possibilities are endless with this recipe, so don’t be afraid to get creative and find your own favorite variations!
Serving and Pairing
Now that your raspberry or blueberry almond coffee cake is ready, it’s time to serve and pair it with your favorite beverages. This cake makes an awesome brunch treat, and it’s perfect for sharing with friends and family.
To really bring out the fruity raspberry or blueberry flavors in the cake, try pairing it with a hot cup of coffee. A light roast coffee will allow you to fully taste the sweet raspberry or blueberry flavor combinations in the cake without being overpowered by the coffee.
If you’re not a fan of coffee, then try pairing the cake with a hot cup of tea instead. Earl Grey or Darjeeling tea can complement the subtle almond undertones in this coffee cake very nicely.
For those looking for something more refreshing, you can also pair this cake with a nice glass of fresh orange juice or even a mimosa. The citrusy flavors in these beverages brighten up the fruity raspberry and blueberry notes in the cake and provide a refreshing balance.
Lastly, if you want to go all out with your pairing choices, enjoy your raspberry or blueberry almond coffee cake with a tall glass of cold milk. The creamy milk provides a lovely contrast to the crumbly texture of the almond streusel and enhances the overall richness of this delicious treat.
Whatever pairing choices you make, remember that this coffee cake is versatile enough to complement any beverage or occasion. Enjoy the fruity raspberry or blueberry flavors that make this dessert truly special!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the benefits of making this Raspberry or Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake is that it’s a great recipe to make ahead of time, store and reheat. This way, you can have a delicious breakfast or brunch treat even on your busy mornings. Here are some tips on how to do it:
Make-ahead: If you plan on serving the cake the next day, you can assemble the entire cake up until the point that it needs to bake. Then wrap it up with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, all you have to do is take it out of the fridge, preheat your oven and bake it according to instructions.
Storing: The leftover cake is best stored in an airtight container at room temperature. It will last for up to two days, but I doubt there will be any left by then. You can also store it in the fridge if you want to prolong its shelf life up to five days.
Reheating: When it comes to reheating, there are a few options. You can reheat a slice or two in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds. Or if you want to maintain its texture and crispness, you can reheat it in a toaster oven at 350F for about 5-8 minutes or until heated through.
Another option is to serve this Raspberry or Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake cold – as it pairs perfectly with hot brewed coffee or tea. So you can just grab a slice and savor every fruity raspberry and blueberry flavor combined with the nutty almond streusel topping. It’s a true crowd-pleaser that everyone will love!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have all the ingredients ready, let’s make sure that you get the best results possible. These tips will help with the texture, flavor and presentation of your Raspberry or Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake recipe.
1. Use fresh berries: The key to getting a fruity raspberry or blueberry almond coffee cake is to use fresh berries. Avoid using frozen berries as they have a high water content and can make your cake soggy.
2. Measure ingredients accurately: Baking is an exact science, so it’s important to measure your ingredients accurately. Use measuring cups and spoons for dry ingredients and a liquid measuring cup for liquids like milk.
3. Preheat the oven: Preheating the oven is crucial for ensuring even baking. Make sure to preheat your oven to 350 F before starting to mix the cake batter.
4. Don’t overmix the batter: Overmixing the batter can result in a tough, dense cake. Mix until just combined and no streaks of flour remain.
5. Create an almond streusel topping: Adding an almond streusel topping will take your cake to the next level. Mix together sliced almonds, brown sugar, flour, and melted butter until crumbly and sprinkle it on top of the batter before baking.
6. Add almond extract: Almond extract gives this cake its signature flavor. Add a teaspoon of almond extract along with the vanilla extract for an extra boost of almond flavor.
7. Take care while baking: Keep an eye on your cake while it’s baking as ovens can vary in temperature. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake; it should come out clean when it’s done.
Follow these tips and you’ll have a fantastic Raspberry or Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake recipe that will be perfect for any occasion!
In conclusion, this raspberry or blueberry almond coffee cake recipe is an absolute game-changer for anyone who loves sweet treats with a fruity twist. Whether you choose to make the raspberry almond coffee cake or the blueberry almond coffee cake, this recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser that impresses everyone at your next brunch or dinner party.
With the combination of the tangy berries and the nutty flavor of almonds, this flavorful cake is one that you won’t be able to resist. If you decide to give this recipe a try, don’t forget to experiment with different toppings and pairings, such as whipped cream or fruit glaze.
Lastly, we understand that dietary restrictions can limit choices when it comes to baked goods. That’s why we have included substitution options such as gluten-free, keto and low-carb variations so that everyone can enjoy this delicious treat. Trust us; you won’t want to miss out on this tasty and easy-to-make coffee cake recipe!
So go ahead and grab your baking tools and give this fruity raspberry or blueberry almond coffee cake recipe a try. With these simple tips, substitutions, and variations, you’ll create an awesome brunch treat that will leave your taste buds wanting more!
Raspberry or Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 cup fresh raspberry (or blueberries)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine raspberries (or blueberries) and brown sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl. Combine yogurt, butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla and egg in a small bowl. Stir well.
- Add to the flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Spoon two-thirds of the batter into an 8-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray.
- Top with raspberry (or blueberry) mixture.
- Spoon remaining batter over raspberry (or blueberry) mixture. Top with almonds.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Combine milk, powdered sugar and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Stir well and drizzle over cake.